Using spikes while pruning.

Mesterh

Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?

• No I would never use spikes while pruning.
    • Yes I would only if it was a difficult climb.
    • Yes they are the first thing I get out of the kit bag.

Anybody taken down a tree for no other reason than because the land owner wanted it down? How would you justify that? And, to some degree, I'm happy to admit I usually put financial above the health of a tree. That doesn't mean to say I spike trees for the sake of a quick job. I don't. But I do need to keep a roof above my head, food in my guts and support the family therefore keeping the work rolling in is the overriding factor. I could refuse to carry out many works that I don't agree with but would eventually go under as there are plenty of other outfits that WILL do the work. Then I'd end up working for them and doing the same work I refused anyway or would have to get some sort of other work. As for spiking at Asplundh; it's neither a reason nor an excuse it just what was done on the orders of the supervisor. The contract was a large one and we had to keep the company happy in order not to lose the contract. All crew members working on the contract had to spike, almost like a production line mentality. I'm not proud of it but then the trees came out the other side of the 1995 fires with no ill effects so.....

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody taken down a tree for no other reason than because the land owner wanted it down? How would you justify that? And, to some degree, I'm happy to admit I usually put financial above the health of a tree. That doesn't mean to say I spike trees for the sake of a quick job. I don't. But I do need to keep a roof above my head, food in my guts and support the family therefore keeping the work rolling in is the overriding factor. I could refuse to carry out many works that I don't agree with but would eventually go under as there are plenty of other outfits that WILL do the work. Then I'd end up working for them and doing the same work I refused anyway or would have to get some sort of other work. As for spiking at Asplundh; it's neither a reason nor an excuse it just what was done on the orders of the supervisor. The contract was a large one and we had to keep the company happy in order not to lose the contract. All crew members working on the contract had to spike, almost like a production line mentality. I'm not proud of it but then the trees came out the other side of the 1995 fires with no ill effects so.....

What as in just felled some random tree for a laugh and no payment?

No chance its against my religion to work without getting paid.:001_tongue:

The way I see it I can justify pruning, felling topping whatever because someone has asked me to do it as a job that I will get paid for. There is a reason why the tree is getting pruned.

They assume I will do a professional job and spiking while pruning to me isnt professional.

If its acceptable to spike because well we are already creating wounds by pruning then surely its acceptable to not bother finishing off a step cut, hinge cut maybe do the odd tear etc etc, I see no difference with any of the above tbh.

Agreed. Regardless of your point of view it's all good reading. I'd hate to have this discussion in a pub alltogether though. It could turn volatile.

Thats the thing, if we were face to face, you can read body language and things don't get so heated.

On here its so easy to take something the wrong way or something you say to be taken wrong.

I suppose if you're not so good with explaining yourself in written form you can get yourself in a right royal muddle and end up saying something that you didn't actually mean. It pays to have thick skin sometimes. Or to just accept that everybody has a right to an opinion even if you do not agree with it. A boring world it would surely be if we all agreed on everything.

i think its time for a Moral scenario Tom. better start another thread though:001_smile:

thought us utility arb boys would get it sooner or later:sneaky2:

yes it does happen with us on line clearance, but usually on trees that have been paggered over and over again because a grantor wont agree to removal, so we put safety first and use climbers to access the tree when in the past somebody has knocked the topp out or caused other defects which would not be visible from the ground etc, i am quite sure that there are other peeps on here who do exactly the same in our line of work, but on whole if possible we never use them unless it is crucial to do so, and certainly dont do it to aid speed of the job, that is looking for an accident, seen it happen:thumbdown: