Using spikes while pruning.

Mesterh

Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?

• No I would never use spikes while pruning.
    • Yes I would only if it was a difficult climb.
    • Yes they are the first thing I get out of the kit bag.

It is accepted practise to use spikes on a live tree when performong an emergency rescue anyway.

This whole thread rings a bit hollow though anyway......can anyone here quote, TRUTHFULLY, of failure of a tree due to the use of spikes. How about the giant redwoods that the Llikes of Sillet etc used to spike up? Its an interesting thread, but mired in far too much egotistical 'i am holier than thou' stuff.

In the grand scheme of things just how bad is it......REALLY? Lets compare it to line clearance/ utilty arb if we are going to get this het- up about it. |Can we not reign in our emotions a bit here?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the grand scheme of things just how bad is it......REALLY? Lets compare it to line clearance/ utilty arb if we are going to get this het- up about it. |Can we not reign in our emotions a bit here?

i think its time for a Moral scenario Tom. better start another thread though:001_smile:

Sorry guys, I might have hijacked the thread a little with the topping of trees scenario. Got a bit carried away I'm afraid.

This side of the world many councils don't have an arborist on staff but only parks and reserves people. Many of the orders come down from the top i.e councillors, mayors etc and they dictate what is and isn't done to trees. It's been so long established that topping trees is OK it's now embedded in the entire council staff that this is the done thing anything different is frowned upon.

Back on the spikes subject; I worked for Asplundh in Oz for a year clearing transmission lines. On site we had a site supervisor from the power company that insisted all trees were spiked as it was quicker. Worse still was the trees were cut off at line level. No growth points, nothing. We called em Moffett gums after the supervisor. They were basically totum poles. Failure to put on the spikes at the start of the day resulted in you being kicked off site and a black mark against your name. No excuses.

Spikes to rescue someone is a different matter alltogether,weve got a chap climbing with us at present he will climb anything never wears spikes and hardly ever uses a strop,he has bugger all kit in his bag and dont even own a thro bag,but hes one of the best climbers i have seen,he makes an impossible job look easy,my point is if you need to use spikes to prune a tree then mabe treework aint your bag,if this offends im sorry but its just my point of view cheers DB.

No its an excuse not a reason.

You are just justifying you actions, its what we all do when we do something that others don't agree with or think is wrong.

Everyone has good reason for speeding, drink driving, stealing, fraud, drug dealing, not wearing there seat belt, charging old people more than the jobs worth, going through red lights, pollarding trees, doing tree in general etc, etc, etc, the list is endless.

All the above make little or no difference in the grand s creme I'd things, but, they do make a difference.

This is an arb forum and since using spikes while pruning is considered bad practice in general its not surprising that most on here won't see it as a reason.