Diagnosis and prognosis of the development of wood decay in urban trees- discussion

Hi all, I realise many of you wont have seen this book by the great FWMR shwarze, let alone own a copy, it is after all a whopping £105!

However, for those that have it or have accses to it I wonder if we may talk over a few thought provoking things within the book and even discuss ways of dealing with certain issues/conflicts presented within its contents.

Its been a while since I picked this one up, and its not a one two or even three sitting readers! its one of those youll pick up again and again to re affirm ones ideas views and techniques. Ive been reading it a bit the last couple of evenings (been quiet on here!) and I am finding much to re stimulate my own decay interests once more, especialy with some recent failures, both personal experiance and high profile ones around the world.

I wonder if we might start to mull over page 19-48:thumbup1:

Overview of procedures and techniques for assesing the probability of tree failure

Any thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hama don't take this the wrong way, You need to get a life:001_tt2:

I totaly get where your coming from, i know i am a little too focussed on the ball and have been for a long time now. I had the life you speak of, and chose to leave it all behind for the pursuit of excelence, quiet a sacrifice in many respects, but I have to say my life is very much as rich as it ever was.

I honestly love with a great passion what i do, every minute of everyday I revel in learning more about trees fungi and ecology, every once in a while I realise ive taken some huge strides, and those moments fuel the next part of the quest.

I am very nearly living the life of my dreams, a few more years hard graft, dedication and effort and i will be but a few small steps and on a down hill roll.:thumbup1:

One of the things thats realy got my atention is the ONLY negative against the use of increment cores (or obtaining them) for assesing residual wood strength in the pressence of decay fungi, in particular the xylariaceous soft rot fungi.

now Shwarze also mentions in a latter section, the significant differences in host parasite relationships, in this example the relationships (strategy) of inonotus hispidus on fraxinus excelsior and juglans Var, as apposed to its effect on Platanus X hispanica. in ash the xylem rays are degraded, yet in platanus they are more suberised (rays) and decay is more effectivley compartmentalised by Planes as a result. (Suberin is a waxy substance found in higher plants. Suberin is a main constituent of cork, and is named after the Cork Oak, Quercus suber, ref- wikipedia)

Now i was thinking for some time that as and when i should do an increment core, i might be inclined to inject the site of sample extraction with a proprietory silicone sealant that contains a fungicide, as used in bathrooms.

But Im now wondering what "natural" anti fungal sealants we may use in its stead, Is suberin a widley avaliable product?

Now i was thinking for some time that as and when i should do an increment core, i might be inclined to inject the site of sample extraction with a proprietory silicone sealant that contains a fungicide, as used in bathrooms.

Why do we worry about drilling small holes in trees with increment borers when we regularly expose the same type of wood when we make even the smallest of pruning cuts. How many highway and specimen trees are pruned each day with 50mm plus diameter branch removal, yet making a hole of less than 10mm feels worrying :confused1:

I agree MonkeyD...Trichoderma spp have a magnitude of uses and are commercially used in fertilisers for arable crops, see interesting article below:

In addition to colonizing roots, Trichoderma spp. attack, parasitize and otherwise gain nutrition from other fungi. Since Trichoderma spp. grow and proliferate best when there are abundant healthy roots, they have evolved numerous mechanisms for both attack of other fungi and for enhancing plant and root growth. Several new general methods for both biocontrol and for causing enhancement of plant growth have recently been demonstrated and it is now clear that there must be hundreds of separate genes and gene products involved in these processes. A recent list of mechanisms follows.

Mycoparasitism

Antibiosis

Competition for nutrients or space

Tolerance to stress through enhanced root and plant development

Solubilization and sequestration of inorganic nutrients

Induced resistance

Inactivation of the pathogen’s enzymes

I think we could be on to something here, a fungicide poly-filler :thumbup: