Civil unrest,FUEL COSTS,

steve the tree

Found this here (so not my own words)

http://www.petrolprices.com/fuel-tax.html

Fuel tax in the UK is constantly changing and has risen steadily over the last 15 years. Between 1993 and 1999 there was a rapid increase with duties on fuel increasing by 3% above inflation. This was due to a major change in petrol taxation in 1993 when the Conservatives introduced the Fuel Price 'escalator'. This was a way of the government making money and also to help protect the environment by discouraging people from using their cars.

Where does the sweet Fiat panda 4x4 fit into the 4x4 equation I wonder?

So are you all for cheaper fuel or are you one of the anti oil , save the planet greenies?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the welcome,

sorry some of you may have to remind me who you are as I have a really bad memory....

things are good since the Corporation of London wish I had left before I reached my 30's (back joints and all that!!)

I heard that they use outside contractors for most of the roadside work now and the latest superintendant is in the process of being fired for missuse of funds!!!

No I'm not one of the greenh brigade I just find great satisfaction of using the cheapest method of running my equipment.

And to answer the other question yes the company is known as Height and Light(tree surgery )Ltd

Thanks for the welcome,

sorry some of you may have to remind me who you are as I have a really bad memory....

things are good since the Corporation of London wish I had left before I reached my 30's (back joints and all that!!)

I heard that they use outside contractors for most of the roadside work now and the latest superintendant is in the process of being fired for missuse of funds!!!

Hi Pat, i'm David Humphries from COL North London Open Spaces.

Havn't heard of or seen you since we met at AA show 2/3 years ago.

Glad to hear things are going well for you outside of the "Institution"

Apparently the "process" is on to chosing a new Super at EF now, soon to be in place.

Never had the balls to do what you did, good for you :wave:

I just worked out that i spent £960 on fuel in May.

I recon this is going to have a major effect on inflation which will stall interest rate cuts and may even cause rate rises. This onlymakes a full blown recession more likely which is no god for any of us, the government cant cut fuel duty because the green lobby will tear them apart at a time when they are not exactly popular anyway.

One solution which i have not heard anyone mention is to increase VAT on fuel to around 40% and then cut duty to maintain the current pump price, businesses can then claim the tax back therefore reducing inflation whilst the government can still claim to be green.

Personally if high fuel prices will reduce the number of cars on the road i'm all for it, but not at the expense of inflation. I often spend 3-4 hours a day in the van sitting in traffic which is largely made up of cars with one person on board. The fact is if you work in an office you probably dont need to drive to work, yet all legislation seems aimed at larger vehicles which are usually necessary for the owner, all tradesmen need vans, most of which will be over 2 litre.

So if any of you are involved in the fuel protests please consider campaining for a vat increase, it might just work.

The alternatives to driving are not good. Cycling is deadly with the way motorists race around now, though I'm still toying with the idea. Public transport is over priced, unreliable and you are often stuck in a confined space with people full of disrespect for others. My folks were on a train carriage on their way back from Liverpool and everyone had to watch in horror as these two drugged up space cadets threatened and insulted everyone then the ticket conductor took to his heels while they started smashing the place up. The funny thing is that this pair were led down on the platform close to the tracks in preston station and they were escourted onto the train by staff rather than out of the station! My bro commutes to manchester and he has to put up with stuff like this daily.. no choice because the motorway is jammed

So are you all for cheaper fuel or are you one of the anti oil , save the planet greenies?

Lee I could not ever claim to be `anti oil', it would be an odd standpoint for anyone to take. here is part of an article I found which shows what i mean. I'm definately for cheaper fuel, infact i'm for free fuel. Where fuel doesn't mean petrochemicals. Isn't everyone a bit greener these days? I'm not in denial about the state of the world. yes, I think we should save the planet too.

It is often forgotten by many people that plastic products are based on petroleum. A glance around any room will show how pervasive they are. There are many other oil-based household objects. The following is a list of just some products that may disappear with oil.

Air conditioners, ammonia, anti-histamines, antiseptics, artificial turf, asphalt, aspirin, balloons, bandages, boats, bottles, bras, bubble gum, butane, cameras, candles, car batteries, car bodies, carpet, cassette tapes, caulking, CDs, chewing gum, cold, combs/brushes, computers, contacts, cortisone, crayons, cream, denture adhesives, deodorant, detergents, dice, dishwashing liquid, dresses, dryers, electric blankets, electrician’s tape, fertilisers, fishing lures, fishing rods, floor wax, footballs, glues, glycerin, golf balls, guitar strings, hair, hair colouring, hair curlers, hearing aids, heart valves, heating oil, house paint, ice chests, ink, insect repellent, insulation, jet fuel, life jackets, linoleum, lip balm, lipstick, loudspeakers, medicines, mops, motor oil, motorcycle helmets, movie film, nail polish, oil filters, paddles, paint brushes, paints, parachutes, paraffin, pens, perfumes, petroleum jelly, plastic chairs, plastic cups, plastic forks, plastic wrap, plastics, plywood adhesives, refrigerators, roller-skate wheels, roofing paper, rubber bands, rubber boots, rubber cement, rubbish bags, running shoes, saccharine, seals, shirts (non-cotton), shoe polish, shoes, shower curtains, solvents, spectacles, stereos, sweaters, table tennis balls, tape recorders, telephones, tennis rackets, thermos, tights, toilet seats, toners, toothpaste, transparencies, transparent tape, TV cabinets, typewriter/computer ribbons, tyres, umbrellas, upholstery, vaporisers, vitamin capsules, volleyballs, water pipes, water skis, wax, wax paper

Of course, these products will not all disappear with the decline of oil – some existed before plastic was even discovered. Boats, for instance, were made of wood for thousands of years but their construction requires for more skill than glassfibre and maintenance is higher. And all that extra wood will have to be grown somewhere. Remember that, a hundred years ago before oil dominated society, the world population was 1.6 billion as against today's 6.5 billion. We also owned far less and prices of goods were generally higher (allowing for inflation). We are used to everything being cheap and freely available. Like oil itself, it is not that these things will disappear but that their costs will soar. Our present lifestyle will inevitably change.

Lee I could not ever claim to be `anti oil', it would be an odd standpoint for anyone to take. here is part of an article I found which shows what i mean. I'm definately for cheaper fuel, infact i'm for free fuel. Where fuel doesn't mean petrochemicals. Isn't everyone a bit greener these days? I'm not in denial about the state of the world. yes, I think we should save the planet too.

Our present lifestyle will inevitably change.

In what way do petrochemicals threaten the planet?

Oil based plastics are cheap and easy to mass produce, particularly important to those afflicted with poverty all over the world.

Lifestyles change - they always have, but the death of oil is a long way off.

War is one serious outcome of the worlds dependance on petrochemicals.

Oil based plastics are cheap and easy to mass produce, particularly important to those afflicted with poverty all over the world.

Allow me to rephrase that for you - 'Oil based plastics were cheap and easy to mass produce'

Not very cheap anymore...

and the people afflicted by poverty are never helped by the presence of oil. Look at Nigeria - billions of barrels of oil, and yet the country suffers from shocking poverty. cheap oil based plastics are not helping them very much.

Maybe, but weve already managed to use up half the worlds resource of oil. and that means its only going to get exponentially more expensive in the near future.

Part of the problem is supply being outstripped by demand, as Economy's like India and China scrabble for their share of whats left.

I guess by `the planet' you mean literally the planet. In which case they don't on that scale. There has been some talk about carbon emissions from the burning of the fuel from the petrochemical industry.

I use plastics all the time as most of us do, so what i was saying is that I'm not anti oil. especially as the statement is meaningless as saying someone is anti iron or anything else coming from the ground.

I don't suppose we have the same definition of the word `death'. Or `long way off' either. Peak oil isn't about the end of oil, or the death of oil (that, that does not live cannot die) but about the cost of extraction. The more difficult something is to get out of the ground the more expensive it becomes. At some point it will become financially prohibitive. if we accept this, then the next stage is to ask when? Why not now? When do you think peak oil will happen? Most importantly why then? But you know all this Dagmar, I'm surprised lee hasn't taken peak oil to his conspiracy heart.