A family business...???

Mac McLennan

My Dad helps me out as a Groundie and he's 70, he perfoms better than most.

I did nearly flatten him last year though.

I was in a woodland working and had finished what I was supposed to be doing.

On the way back out I noticed a dead tree next to a footpath so decided I would fell it for safety reasons. Tree was about 75ft and 24" DBH

Got one groundy to watch the footpath behind me while I kept an eye on the footpath in front while felling.

Put my gob in, checked gob for alignment, looked back, Dad was behind me in the safety zone, groundy stood with his thumb up. Looked forward, all clear, revved the saw and started the back cut.

Looked forward again and couldn't believe my eyes, my dad had just set off wandering down the footpath in the direct path of a now falling tree.

My heart went in my gob and I just screamed, "Dad, Run", if he had looked back, he would have been dead. He ran and then dived sideways.

Needless to say I asked him in a firm voice WTF had come over him.

The feeling you get in your stomach and the freeze frame image of the situation I will never forget.

work with my brother doing little jobs for ourselves but planning to set up a partnership in trees and landscaping, he's a landscaper not just trying to get money doing anything and everthing not saying that why people do it but thats what some think. and my dad likes to come and help well he provides the transport and trailer but reckon he'll work with us later on if it all goes well. he just likes driving tractors and moving soil though.

The feeling you get in your stomach and the freeze frame image of the situation I will never forget.

That is oh so true! My wife and I work together, pretty much do everything together. (I know, weird, huh?) She's a really good, experienced groundy, 5 ft tall, 100 lbs, pick up logs that make most men groan.

Well, one day we were removing cottonwoods in a tight back yard. I had finished stripping off the brush and was just down to bucking down the poles. They were only 18 - 20" lengths, 14" in dia, only about 40 - 50 lbs but I was 35' up. Everything was going smoothly, pushed off one log and glanced down and there she was. It was heading right for her. Couldn't believe my eyes. Just a momentary lapse in our timing put her in the danger zone. I was so shocked by the unexpectedness of it that all I could do was watch. The log actually brushed her shoulder on its way past.

One of the worst feelings I have ever had. I can take getting hurt alot easier than the thought of hurting someone else, let alone my wife.

David

Actually, the day David is talking about was an excellent illustration of why you shouldn't work past a certain point of being tired. I had gotten so tired I had stopped paying attention. My mind was on our company (my neice and family) and things to do later that afternoon.

After the log brushed me, I looked up and said "No problem, my fault!" David yelled back, "Trust me, that would NOT have made me feel better."

I definitely am more careful. I truly lucked out there.

Sylvia

i worked with my dad untill four years ago,as a team with him it was awsome we could feed off what each other needed up a tree and vice versa and rip through work,ive never found any one to work with like that since, couple of very enthusistic people have come close but it aint the same....we did have are differnaces some times but i quite miss working with him evan so,not many pepole can say that about working with family and i feel privaliged that i can.

i worked with my dad untill four years ago,as a team with him it was awsome we could feed off what each other needed up a tree and vice versa and rip through work,ive never found any one to work with like that since, couple of very enthusistic people have come close but it aint the same....we did have are differnaces some times but i quite miss working with him evan so,not many pepole can say that about working with family and i feel privaliged that i can.

When its good its really good!!!

But if its bad theres nothing worse!!!