Starting Merrist Wood

lyle

Hi everyone, I'm starting a 2 year National Diploma in Arboriculture in 4 weeks and I've just got a few minor questions to ask, hopefully there's some guys on this forum who went there and boarded, who could help :)

On the paperwork it says I need to bring a digital camera but a the camera on a phone will do. I'm not sure what to do, go and buy a camera or just use my phone? Or does it really not matter? I don't really want to be the odd one out and end up with bad quality pictures compared to everyone else say if I just used my phone and they all brought digital cameras.

And from your experience what are the best electrical items to have in your room, as anyone that boarded there probably knows, you're allowed 5 electrical items max. Is a good idea to take a little fridge, toaster then a Tv and laptop? Not sure about the last one yet.

Sorry if I seem a bit like I'm over-thinking about these things and that it really doesn't matter I'd just like to have things as best as possible for me as its the first time I'm moving away from home and I will be there 2 years. If anyone could just give me some advice and tell me what worked out best for them that would be great :)

Also, even though I'm really not knowing what to expect I'm starting to look forward to it especially as the starting date gets closer and closer. Is it a good laugh at Merrist Wood? What are your experiences from there?

Thanks,

Jamie

Do you have a good camera on your phone? If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have a 3.1mega pixel camera on my phone not great by any means but does the job. I take my Nikon D90 to work everyday its a little extream but takes fantastic photos.

If you take a TV you'll need to buy a licence if its the same as uni. Take a lap top you get iplayer and the like and you can watch dvds and stuff too.

Thanks for the reply mate. You've got a point there, no need to get a TV if you can just use the laptop.

My normal phone is 3 megapixel like yours but it seems to be really bad quality, I think the camera screen must be scratched. My brother's old phone however, has an 8 megapixel and he doesn't use it anymore, that'd do the trick wouldn't it.

Once again thanks for the help.

I used to cook noodles in my kettle...... especially when we raided the student union welcome room and had a few boxes for free ,great munchie food!!! I dont think any one ever checked but the first few nightss when there is no tv's or stereo's because all the electrical goods have to be tested meant just pure drinking was the only option for entertainment.

mate i had an amazing time there , its a great place to learn and take your firs steps in the industry , as for what 5 eletrical things to take i would not be too worried about a fridge as each block has a fridge , kettle and microwave , oh and a telly. you will also be in a block with other fellow arb students , i would say take and allarm clock , laptop, and if you have long hair then why not take some hair straitners ha ha ha ha good luck mate im sure you will be fine