Oregon Powersharp?

Sam Thompson

Anyone had any experiance of the above? Looks clever, though I dislike having to buy their bar and chain to use it... I use Oregon chain atm and its brilliant, but having to buy a whole new rig just to sharpen with a fancy doo-dah I think is silly, unless this Powersharp thingy is the mutts nutts.

Do we think the Powersharp is good or a gimmick? Anyone used one?

PowerSharp sharpens chain on the saw, on the job, in seconds

Cheers,

Sam

Was demoing this at Jonsies show. IMO it has 2 uses - for the home owner who can't sharpen, and for those wishing to cut stumps out or very dirty wood.

I was running full throttle in a paving slab for 3 seconds with sparks flying, took 30 seconds to resharpen and then away you go cutting again.

You would usually write off a chain doing what I did yet the powersharp chain managed 18 sharpens (after 18 times being pushed into a paving slab).

But it is not as fast as 'normal' chain (maybe 70% to 80% as fast).

Other opinions may vary but I thought it was pretty amazing and nice to see some innovation going on.

I want to get a load in (should be Sept/Oct) but apprently demand in the States has been so high there's a waiting list..... I think that in itself says a lot.

Was demoing this at Jonsies show. IMO it has 2 uses - for the home owner who can't sharpen, and for those wishing to cut stumps out or very dirty wood.

I was running full throttle in a paving slab for 3 seconds with sparks flying, took 30 seconds to resharpen and then away you go cutting again.

You would usually write off a chain doing what I did yet the powersharp chain managed 18 sharpens (after 18 times being pushed into a paving slab).

But it is not as fast as 'normal' chain (maybe 70% to 80% as fast).

Other opinions may vary but I thought it was pretty amazing and nice to see some innovation going on.

I want to get a load in (should be Sept/Oct) but apprently demand in the States has been so high there's a waiting list..... I think that in itself says a lot.

Didnt you also say it will only work for low powerd saws

I think it has legs but im not going to buy one if it cant sharpen a decent size saw

that americans cant sharpen? :001_smile::001_tt2:

haha it looks pretty sweet, would have loved to see that demo rob sounds like a beast

just looking at the actual power sharp chain, this is not a new ideal, i have a small bit of chain that has similar cutters to that in the shed, thats probably older than me, i didnt no what its from so granddad enlightended me, its off an old saw, cant remember the make that had a grinding disc built inside so it was a self sharpening chainsaw, i'll find out more off him and get a pic of the chain :)

I must admit, I was cynical about this gadget, but seeing Rob push it down into the paving slab, re-sharpen and cut wood was impressive. But for every day pro-users, i dont think this is worth buying. Yes the occasional diy user would truly benefit, and maybe if you designated a saw specially for the dirty stoney jobs this would be ideal. Its worth watching the demo though, it is that good.