Complete newbie - where to start?

Thea

Hello all,

I come from a backround in horticulture but am looking to get into arboriculture. Full time study not an option financially and also from a wanting to learn some useful practical skills to get me started point of view I would prefer to get stuck straight into work. An option I had been looking at was to do the NVQ level 2 Apprenticeship with the Askam Bryan college at York. Plusses - most of the training done in the work place, includes several NPTCs, course for me is free. Minuses - Stuck on £60 per week training wage for 2 yrs (not even minimum wage?!!!), long drive to York for block release college attendance. Second option was to fund taking NPTC 30 and 31 myself and then see if I could get employed and save up to do more at a later date. Through my enquiries though it seems like there are some companies who will take on trainees and give in house training, which also seems like a good idea.

Has anyone had any experience of any of the above and could tell me a bit more? Or has anyone got any other suggestions I've not thought of yet? Any opinions or guidence will be greatly appreciated as I'm feeling just a bit clueless!

Hi there mate!!

bit of a dilema you got there but a hort. background should help you to begin with.

The apprenticeship would probably give you a more rounded training experience - But having said that if you could get employed and trained by someone who is exceptional then this would be my preferred option...

Having cs30 and 31 would be a great start too and more beneficial to an employer also a short course would give you a taste of arb work...

Hope that is of some help...ask if you have any more questions or queries. Otherwise best of luck with it!!

Personally I'd get 30 and 31 and then seek employment with an firm that has a proactive policy toward training. If you show unbounded enthusiasm and talent, you'll end up on many courses and finally

a couple of years down the line in a better situation than the apprenticeship path. All depends on how adept you feel you are for this type of work. Also this route relies on finding a good employer. Most will ask for you to sign a contract to stay for a set number of years after qualifying, or you can buy your way out by paying for any training you've received. This should be on a sliding scale. Best of luck. I hope your young.

I did the NVQ at A&B and did it in only a year it was 9 year ago so might hav changed a bit but still a good all over training course. If you get a good employer, work hard and show willing its in there interest to provide you with more training.

If all else failes you could go over to the dark side and do a few years of line clearance and use it as a training/experience time.

good luck hope it all works out.

Thanks guys for your comments so far! Just wondering, if i was going to do the short courses to start with instead of the NVQ would it it be more useful to a potential employer to do CS30 & 31 or CS30 and the brushwood chipper one? Also, please excuse my ignorance but what is line clearance and why is it considered 'the dark side'? Oh yes, and I'm 24 if it makes any difference.

power line clearance, cutting back trees away from overhead lines. toung in cheek about in being the dark side as some companys dont care or dont have time to carry out best practice tree care or they didnt when i spent time doing it. spiking up a tree that was not getting removed was not uncommon or simpaly removing all the branches off one side leaving a very disfigad tree.

Might hav changed now if any1 wonts to put me straight.

30 and 31 would be a better bet, you can then operate a saw. you should have your chipper ticket but i'd say a saw one is better.

don't put yourself in teh chipper and you should be good, there are however more unobvious dangers on a saw.

appear keen, sorry be keen, we have one new guy who only wants to use a saw, his days are numbered if thats his attitude

Jamie

Glad you found the site it can offer a lot of really good info

as for your training

look at what is required !! re training units

chipper isnt a mandatory requirement in the same way as cs 30,31, 38, 39

additional training options are dismantling,medium & large tree felling, removal of wind blown trees , stump grinder, woodchipper etc etc check out the Hse Afag guides & the nptc website for info

once you have a grounding in the practical the theoretical stuff seems to make sense easier

sole emersion in the college world prior to exposure to the contracting world can be a brutal rude awakening for many entering this profession.

look at your finance & then imagine two years as an apprentice is that feasible or even attactive !

I have a guy whos been with us for four months

he is only now going on a course cs 30 31 next week

as the tution / theory should gel much easier now that he has aborsbed the context in which the course is to be applied.

Hey

I did the NVQ level 2 its ok but it depends what your after it's very practical and i found i wasn't learning enough about tree's!! It's good if you have no experience at all and want to get a taste of all the different aspects of the job. Also most colleges include the 30 and 31 training and sometimes the assesment as part of the course. The other good thing is the work placement so you earn and learn at the same time, always a bonus.

good luck