range rover

dandkgroundcare

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Dear! Renowned for blowing head gaskets. Give the radiator a thorough draining and clean out, and replace the thermostat. I had a thermostat seize up on me, blew the top hose and emptied all the water out of the engine. Blew the gasket clean out. Also make sure that it isn't one of the models with the computer system located just above the rear wheels. Get it dunked in water and it'll blow the electrics and computer. Mind you, better than buying one of those wheezy BMW deisel versions eh? Don't worry about the petrol; I have an old 3.9 V8 Disco and I love driving it so much the fuel bill doesn't bother me in the slightest. Plus, cos it was a cheapy it doesn't matter if it gets bashed around and used for carting saws and stuff to those jobs in the middle of a paddock. Had a Surf before which blew a gasket and the gear box so wouldn't buy another japper anyway. If it puts a smile on your dial life's all good.

Not familiar with the 4.6 in particular, I've got a 3.9 disco, but assuming similarities with other land rovers etc then as above head gasket. Mine was blowing and for a couple of months I thought it was a wheel bearing on the way out, It sounded like a squeak, then it developed into more of a tick. There was no noticeable loss of water during this time either until one day towing a load uphill and I noticed plumes of white smoke from the exhaust. It seemed to only lose water under heavy load.

Other majorish poblem I've had is with the steering box which is a common failure point, the seal at the bottom goes and leaks power steering fluid. Thats a recon/replacement job.

There's always minor stuff wrong, mostly electrical you get used to it and most you can live with for a while at least. It's a good vehicle all in all, If it died today I'd buy another tomorrow.

Nice motor, good luck.

Forgot about the steering box. Mine leaked aswell but I put some of that metal compound stuff on it and it seems to have stopped the leaks. Sunroof leaked, rear windows don't work, cruise control pleases itself when it comes on and when it doesn't but just like brewx1; if it died today I'd buy another in a heart beat. They cost sweet fanny adams over here and if you get a jap import they won't have the rust. I put up with all the odds and sods that don't work just cos I love landrovers. If you can get past all their little foibles they're a great machine for proper 4WD drive work and real comfy too. No worries about getting stuck in a muddy paddock, unlike some of the toyotas and stuff that have that pretend 4WD system.

welll seems that article will answer some stuff, but typical of magazines i dont think shows the whole picture, to quote "is there anything positive to say about a p38 approaching 100,000? sadly not" sums it up really.so just to add my opinion, ive got a p reg hse 4.6. i do like it even though the heater doesnt work as it should, it uses a little water, the remote central locking can be tempremental. but i do like it despite all that. although im looking at selling soon. parts are easy to come by and most arent too expensive. think the main problem is people trying to fix the faults! so what if my heater only blows cold one side, just turn the vents off! the air suspension is fantastic but needs keeping in check, most problems stem from air leaks which burn out the pupmp etc. oh and its on 150,000.

so enjoy it