Method Statements an insult to intelligence

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm........... I don't know what your on about?

Tea bags with corners? Your obviously not drinking Yorkshire Tea.

Oh, and dipping your mucky fingers into the brew is the age old prefered method of tea bag retrieval as it also acts as a temperature gauge and adds to the flavour.

The sawdust/muck/oil/fluff etc also adds goodness! Iron and other good-for-you things that cannot otherwise be put into the diet of the arborist** (well the ones I know).

Sam

** For "diet of arborist" read - Mars Bars, Fizzy Drinks, Alochol, Cakes, Fried goods

:001_tt2:

In response to the very accurate method statement produced for every job.

I know of very few jobs where I could outline the precise way a reduction,dismantle,lift/other randomn tree butchery will be carried out. It's pretty well always generic. Sometimes things turn out more complex and sometimes much more simple.

We state that sections will be lowered using LOLER certificated rigging equipment with SWL commensurate with the size of sections being lowered where necessary by competent personnel trained and certificated to carry out rigging operations. The where necessary is very important as often it's not necessary. It may be safer, it may be easier on the climber but not always necessary. The option is there and so is the provision of resources and the client is shown that it's there but we don't have to use them.

As I said in an earlier thread we are just commissioning a server based SSRA that each operative fills in seperately and the software cross checks the individual hazard analysis and highlights any discrepancies. This ensures each operative knows all the hazards and importantly the controls.

You don't need to outline the precise way, all you have to say is that you will stick to best practice, thats it, thats all they need to hear. So if you change the plan during the day you stick stick to best practice.

The office bods that ask for this stuff don't know what it is, just tell them its all to best practice. I'm only sayign this cos I learned to do safety paperwork from my clients, and clients of the company I used to work for. We had no idea waht a method statement was, but ended up with opportunites to work for Carrillion, Costains, Mcalpine etc. All I did was ASK, and the advice I got back was great, I then gave them what they asked for and we got the contracts. Simples. And I do the same now.

As I said in an earlier thread we are just commissioning a server based SSRA that each operative fills in seperately and the software cross checks the individual hazard analysis and highlights any discrepancies. This ensures each operative knows all the hazards and importantly the controls.

Thats great, but thats Risk assessment. Different thing to method statement. Its just a statement that you will tstick to the methods you have been trained in, for whatever activtiy you might be doing.

if a client wants excessive paperwork they can pay for it -I don't mind

And they wont mind using someone else who offers the paperwork inclusive. Just set all the paperwork up on a PDF and e mial them it, it costs nothing.