Method Statements an insult to intelligence

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The generic should be the same for every job, cos its, well, "generic". Yes once they have it on file that shoudl do. My complete package is 70 pages, I email that so they can save it or print it and they only get it once!

The only thing you do for every job is a RA, and even then you can tick all the generic bits that apply and just fill in any site specific stuff, which is often nothing.

Sounds like a nice bit of bed time reading that one.:laugh1:

Ive never been asked for generic ones they always want a site specific MS. There are a few sites Ive been on where Ive had to supply 5 or 6 different MS for each and every job on the same site.

Also dont forget Dean we probably do more MS than we really think, there have been plenty of times I've talked a customer through how we are going to do a job.

I agree though it is all just a load of rubbish along with all paper work imo, although the lads putting fences up around a site, using excavators,dumper trucks erecting scaffolding, etc etc also need to provide MS's.

What they have asked of me though is a MS for that job, they always insist on it.

They want dates, site location and how you are going to tackle that job ie tree group a and b will be straight felled tree group c will be section felled due to close proximity of pedestrian area tree group d will be burnt at the stake because its full of ivy and I dont want to climb it etc etc.

They always say to me not a generic one.

Fair enough, I think I do that too but give that information on the daily risk assessment, where i tick felling, climbing, burning etc etc.

Ultimalty we all do whats asked of us. MY generic MS if for tree pruning and felling, so takes into account most eventualities for those methods. There would be another for Stump grinding, and for mewps etc if required.

I guess my MS is very basic, but its the whole package that needs to be complete, so as long as the required information is containe dwith the RA, the MS and the H&S policy, along with certs, and everythign else then it should be ok.

Personally my MS would just be

Get spikes out of bag,

start work

finish work.

go home.

aye well, in my way a doing things, i kind set the blarney questionires to the side. On every job, yep every job other than subing, i will prepare a full spec method state. For one, i dont advertise - solely word of mouth. for 2, the requestee knows i can undetake the work, for 3 i dont care. they get a full spec ms detailing all movements on each day of the works oon their site.

if you are becoming an 'approved contractor' then that i suppose is when you would rovide a generic ms, h&s policy and all that. it is at this point where the generic ms is relatively bull bcus.......a method statement shuld detail how the specific works are to take place.

now each job is in nature certainly different we al kno that, however, very little wording would change on each specific ms. soo, in my opinion, i believe a quality ms for each job, in our hairy trade, is a clea sign of knowledge therefore professionalism. mmmm

aye well, in my way a doing things, i kind set the blarney questionires to the side. On every job, yep every job other than subing, i will prepare a full spec method state. For one, i dont advertise - solely word of mouth. for 2, the requestee knows i can undetake the work, for 3 i dont care. they get a full spec ms detailing all movements on each day of the works oon their site.

if you are becoming an 'approved contractor' then that i suppose is when you would rovide a generic ms, h&s policy and all that. it is at this point where the generic ms is relatively bull bcus.......a method statement shuld detail how the specific works are to take place.

now each job is in nature certainly different we al kno that, however, very little wording would change on each specific ms. soo, in my opinion, i believe a quality ms for each job, in our hairy trade, is a clea sign of knowledge therefore professionalism. mmmm

I hope they are easier to read than that :001_rolleyes:

Especially as we would all, as professionals, use a teaspoon to remove the tea bag rather than dip our fingers in to catch the tiny corner poking out of the brew.:001_tt2:

Erm........... I don't know what your on about?

Tea bags with corners? Your obviously not drinking Yorkshire Tea.

Oh, and dipping your mucky fingers into the brew is the age old prefered method of tea bag retrieval as it also acts as a temperature gauge and adds to the flavour.