Method Statements an insult to intelligence

Dean Lofthouse

Like the title says;

Do you find method statement an insult to intelligence, training and qualifications.

I have just filled one in for a commercail client and found it rather embarrassing.

I have one tiny sycamore to take down and three 8ft elders to clear. So far I have dedicated around one and a half days to filling in paperwork and providing paperwork

I basically put down that I would fell the syc and clear the scrub

They emailed back and asked me to put a "bit more detail as to what methods of cutting down the trees you will use and method of securing the operator of the chainsaw while carrying out the work."

I agree with risk assessments but find unless you are involved in a complex bridge building project, then method statements are an insult to your intelligence.

A tree over a busy dual carriageway - yes

A windblown storm damaged tensioned tree hanging over the M1 motorway - yes

But cutting down a box standard tree and three little elders is just plain rediculous

I'm hoping to get more work off this company otherwise I am seriously out of pocket

Im off to make a brew now

I will pick up the kettle, place under the tap, turn on the tap and fill kettle to required level taking care not to spill, turn off the tap and place kettle on the base, boil kettle and pour hot water onto teabag in cup taking care not to spill or over fill. Leave to brew for 60 econds and put in some milk, blow before sipping tea

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I make you spot on with that, I recently sent a client a method statement for a completely different job by mistake but they still approved it!! Shows we put all this effort in as a paper excercise for the majority of the time.

We used to send generic methods but more and more clients are demanding tailored ones, I don't hear them offering to increase our prices to allow for all this extra work.

I dread to think what HSE nonsense is needed to make a cup of tea these days:

Risk assessment, Electrical equipment safety cert, Food handling cert, Appropriate fire safety documents, first aid kit, first aider, appropriate ppe, adequate insurance...

As making a cup of tea is statisticaly more dangerous than the risk of being killed by a falling tree, perhaps we should undertake a quantified risk asessment for making a cup of tea whilst we are at it?

Yep another load of paper work rubbish but to be fair to some of the people that request them half couldnt care whats in them they just need to have them.

As Graham said god help us in the future!

Ive been successful on a few nice jobs because a couple of the other companies quoting "Dont really do method statements" so it is worth sorting a nice easy one out that takes a few minutes to make site specific.

My method statement would have included the methods required in disposing of the tea bag tbh.:001_tongue:

This is part of the reason Mrs Miggins gets a better deal on tree work than Mr Commercial.

Its not for us its so the customer can see how your going to do the job and have it in writing so if anything goes wrong they have something to reference to.

IE you state on your method statement that you are going to section down a dodgy dead tree with a MEWP, you then think bugger it and drop it in one, goes the wrong way and does some damage. You are well and truly fecked.

You might explain what your going to do verbally to one site agent but the next day another one is in his place, he can just pick up the method statement and see whats going on.

Another other rubbish along those lines.