If you go down to the woods today.........

David Humphries

id be up for a summer wander round some famous woods :thumbup:

went for a walk round a woodland for one of my assignments today, was a rather nice wood, some sections of larch, soem pine, hemlock, oak and sycamore, lots of birch riddled with Piptoporus betulinus, i had a couple of goes at pushing them, one, two, three crack over they go! There was a nice range of species here, some nice burry sweet chestnuts, a tree that was hellbent on phototropism :biggrin: and a lime that may need a thin!

some really nice oaks there, showing some nice body language for hamas perusal!

Slight derail. In pic 15 is that a pheasant pen or just a fence to keep people off the root systems?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lmao, if we go in warmer weather we should not see any fungi and all will be well! time to give alan a chance to shine!:blushing:

all we gotta worry about then is the ants!:thumbup:

Don't worry I'll bring some green woodpeckers to deal with the ants.Seriously what would be a good time for you vis a vis fungi ? Bats are already stirring and Slough would be warmer than here.Of course bats flying is an evening thing so we could just keep it to the bat potential aspect of trees etc,which means any time of day would do.

Don't worry I'll bring some green woodpeckers to deal with the ants.Seriously what would be a good time for you vis a vis fungi ? Bats are already stirring and Slough would be warmer than here.Of course bats flying is an evening thing so we could just keep it to the bat potential aspect of trees etc,which means any time of day would do.

im up for an evening job?

we need to start this as a thread, take the lead alan, sorry david:blushing:

Don,t worry he is already in bed !! He'll be panicking at six in the morning though !!!

OK Here is a suggestion. Collective afternoon walk around the woods to impart /absorb knowledge on Fungi/VTA/bats etc. break for a rest. have something to eat in a convivial surroundings then do an evening bat walk for those that are interested. If we are oversubscribed then that walk could have two sessions possibly. How's that for optimism !!

what woods is that rob? near you, or myerscough?

near me on knowsley estate, private estate, we are tenants and i asked them nicely so they let me have a wander round, i can get permission and can bring you with me one time if you want? its a great place, utter silence from anything man-made!

Slight derail. In pic 15 is that a pheasant pen or just a fence to keep people off the root systems?

pheasant pen, big area there, they are well into their game shooting!

near me on knowsley estate, private estate, we are tenants and i asked them nicely so they let me have a wander round, i can get permission and can bring you with me one time if you want? its a great place, utter silence from anything man-made!

pheasant pen, big area there, they are well into their game shooting!

Thought it would have been. Just cleared area ready for pheasie pen on local estate. Was hard going as most of the trees were hung up and still attached at the coppice stool. The pen is going to be able to hold upto 5,000 pheasant.

Glad you've found it so armybloke.

Not everyones cup of tea. Possibly the last thing some want to do after being in, on or around trees all week.

But instilling the woodland value on the children is inspiring enough :thumbup1:

No decent camera really required, just a good digital, some patience & the right light.

Bung some up the next time you've been down to the woods :001_smile:

Kingley Vale. Intact Yew Forest and a pristine example and best in europe. Yew's pre-date Christianity and some have amazing characters. Love this place and so do my girls :thumbup1:

16052010084.jpg.052d27051995d554c39eaca365a65761.jpg

would love to just give us a shout when:thumbup:

after april 3rd though when i get my new lens:001_cool:

Kingley Vale. Intact Yew Forest and a pristine example and best in europe. Yew's pre-date Christianity and some have amazing characters. Love this place and so do my girls :thumbup1:

This place sounds so amazing i think im going to ay it a visit! ive long wanted to see a true yew forest to see what its ecology is like.:thumbup1: