Richard Dawkins- discuss

chris cnc

more likely the other way round, whales and all the aquatic mammals evolved from land animals.

whales are descended from cow-like ancestors that gave up their land dwelling existence and went back to the sea, some say that what actually happened was that one of these cow-like creatures slipped off a rock next to the sea, fell in to the water and became a whale.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldnt give a monkies uncle wether you believe it or not to be fair, I know what I've seen, and I am happy with what I've seen through the medium of film.

I want to see the film, it might change my mind :confused1:

Nobody worth listening too, crikey, thats an arrogant statement, just how much time have you spent in the cradle of life then!:lol:

The "yet to find" part of that sentence is important. It's not arrogant, it's the truth.

1. to describe that behaviour as 'mourning' in the conventional sense of the word is probably a step too far.

2. I'm afraid that a link to a site entitled 'UFO Digest' does little to bolster your case.:001_tt2:

Steve,

1. That's why I put "mourning", "buriel site" and "graveyard" between "...", meaning "as if" or "not to be taken literally", because using mourning without ''.." to describe the behavior of elephants or orka's would be a form of anthropomorphism, just as saying an orangutan laying his arm around the shoulder of Willie Smits being capable of empathy or consoling a sad "old human friend" is, as he does in his documentaries.

2. And there you would have had a point, if I hadn't withdrawn this link myself, because I (too late) looked at the "home" of the site, although nothing much different from the article in New Scientist was stated under this hilarious title :lol: .

Edited by Fungus

Hullo Chum, thanks for the links.

Just read the article. Would be nice to get hold of the actual research, but no matter.

The notion of elephant graveyards - where old elephants wander off to die - has been exposed as myth by previous studies, the researchers note.

I take it your a creationist Tim.:001_smile:

It must have be really cool when god (the most complex and incredible thing, way better than any of the physical universe he created) just appeared from no where!!!:001_huh:

I'm not a creationist.

The story about the cow-like creatures becoming whales is derived from an ancient Inuit legend. The funny thing is, its very close to the truth of how whales are believed to have evolved.....from cow-like ancestors.

To understand evolution you have to understand that modern humans are all descended from a now extinct species of ape. This one species was forced out of the forest about 5 million years ago and eventually learned to walk upright.

We humans are a very recent species. If the history of life on earth was compressed into a single year, humans would only make their appearance a few minutes before midnight on 31st of December.

Edited by scotspine1

anthropomorphism- a term used and responsible for further distancing the human psych from being one with the beasts of this world and encouraging omnipitence over the dominion as a unique entity, un related and above the natural order of things.

and one day mother nature will remind us just how primitive we still are

no, :lol:

what i mean is that its another one of those words that tells us we are seperate from and exclusive, I dont think it helps "connection"

:thumbup:

My fingerhold grasp of old Greek pulled that up(Anthrop - men, morph - outline). Turns out (following googling) that it means attributing human characteristics to animals. :001_smile: