reduction pictures

andrew t

Using a handsaw and secateurs will make you think about every cut and will result in a much tidier job. I think using a chainsaw makes you lazy, besides you can't acurately place finished cuts on small diameter growth as it just bounches around against the chain.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using a handsaw and secateurs will make you think about every cut and will result in a much tidier job. I think using a chainsaw makes you lazy, besides you can't acurately place finished cuts on small diameter growth as it just bounches around against the chain.

On jobs like this i always have a pocket boy attached to my belt, it has a pair of felcos and a silky 190mm in a rubberised holder that stops em falling out even on the bat hangs!

A 30cm lyons tape sling for cut and hold so my hands nowhere near the saw and im a happy bunny!:thumbup:

Spec was 30 % reduction. If I had reduced the height by a third and then brought the sides in to meet I reckon about 80-90% of the crown would be removed. I was taught to reduce by 30 % would mean that once completed approx a third of the foliage would be on the deck. Hope this helps.

Obviously not easy to judge but on that tree if you had brought it in harder then there would have been a mulitude of header cuts and no growth points.

Spec was 30 % reduction. If I had reduced the height by a third and then brought the sides in to meet I reckon about 80-90% of the crown would be removed. I was taught to reduce by 30 % would mean that once completed approx a third of the foliage would be on the deck. Hope this helps.

Obviously not easy to judge but on that tree if you had brought it in harder then there would have been a mulitude of header cuts and no growth points.

I agree. I always specify % of leaf area to be removed then quantify it with an estimate of the overall reduction of height and side branches. If the clients are not home during the pruning we try to take a photo of the brash before chipping it incase they think we haven't removed enough.

I think you did a good job with the Oak considering the tree. I wouldn't have wanted to take anymore leaf off that this time. If the client wants a smaller tree you should now have scope for more of a reduction in a few years now its been thinned

what is the strop for your silky i would like to see a pic if not to much trouble in response to what you said to rich about the 30% i normally just tell the client that i do a reduction of the whole crown to which is right for the tree never had any problems 30% stuff does not add up in my view.