Splicing Yale XTC 12

stuartc44

Thanks Jamie for the offer, I will try and get some shorter pieces to mess about with.

Further to my last post I have tried a tuck splice and produced this...

xtc12.jpg.6433c835d4f40f7ed171b1b11689e73e.jpg

Then earlier today I received an email...

Hi Staurt,

Yale Cordage has passed me your details regarding your issue with Splicing XTC12.

Unfortunately this product cannot be spliced and all attempts to do so will result in a failure.

Sorry for the bad news.

Regards,

Nigel Fletcher

Director

Fletcher Stewart (Stockport) Limited

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That could be a mistake of course, I will give them a ring to check if I get a chance.

Apparantly Yale say it was spliced using something called the varilay method, but that is only possible if they change the tightness of the weave during the braiding process, which is something they no longer offer.

That would explain why it was so tight on the bury though.

Hi all, I have asked YALE CORDAGE to comment on this thread to clear any confusion and hopefully answer some of your questions:

Dear ArbTalk members,

There seems to be some questions on the XTC 12 splice so I will try to set the record straight. 1). StuartC44 - you may have very well obtained an eye in this rope but the tucks interfere with the actual braid angle of the rope and therefore that eye is now probably about 1/2 the tensile strength of the original strength. We have done testing on this in the past and believe me, if it were producing good strength ratings we never would have discontinued this product with eye splices. 2). Bender, this may be worse than a Bowline as we have had good results with knots on XTC-12 strand products, they are tight, remain round, and hold their shape when knotted, - we have recently done excessive testing with UMASS and the Tree Fund here at Yale on this very study. 3). High scale - ropes must be spliced to the manufacturers specifications to remain within the boudaries ofany warranty. I do not know of any tightly woven 12 strand arborist ropes Yale, or Samson that have a published splice method. 4). Nod - yes, we used to have a programmed machine that would elongate the pik length for about 2 feet at the eye so that a brummel splice could be performed on the rope. This was a very good method and achieve full strength for the rope. The sales dwindled in the spliced version, and the machine was making more scraps than good so the eye splice version was discontinued. and for that reason, it is no longer splicable. 5). Peter, you have the last of the eye spliced Yale XTC-12 on the planet Earth, but Im suprised you would try to sell it with the link to Samson Ropes.....(tisk tisk) 6). Highscale, to clarify, the ropes weave pattern would elongate for just about 2 feet. The rope was then spliced by hand. Not machine assistaed like our 16 strand splices. I hope this helps clarify things. In short, yeah, I can splice a rope that is deemed nonsplicable as well. But is it safe? In your case, I would say, no it is not safe. Its been tested and has failed repeatedly with low breaks right at the base of the eye. In fact, if you woudl like to send us your splices, we would be happy to test them and send to you the report. Once again, its not our objective to confuse people, it is to supply a safe and reliable product that is fit for purpose to its intended use. If you should require an eye splice in a climbing line, may I suggest a 16 strand rope 1/2" If this is in a rigging rope, exactly how are you using the eye splice and what benefit does it add to your system? Thanks all, I hope this helps.

Jamie Goddard, Yale Cordage