Splicing Yale XTC 12

stuartc44

Thank you for your post Nigel.

The reasons for wanting a spliced eye in the rope were, looks a lot neater, highly unlikely to come undone, or be tied wrongly and originally to be stronger than a knot as I believe the case would normally be.

This rope is to be used for pulling vehicles out after getting stuck etc. if it were a climbing rope I would only have spliced it using the manufacturers instructions and to be used for myself. As for lowering / rigging, even if there were manufacturers instructions I would not have spliced it at all as it would be putting other peoples lives in danger.

As it is when the rope does break looks like I will be going back to knots.

If there were courses to become a competent splicer, and the splices were tested and marked, then maybe things would be different.

Thanks again,

Stuart.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highscale, to clarify, the ropes weave pattern would elongate for just about 2 feet. The rope was then spliced by hand. Not machine assistaed like our 16 strand splices. I hope this helps clarify things. In short, yeah, I can splice a rope that is deemed nonsplicable as well. But is it safe? In your case, I would say, no it is not safe. Its been tested and has failed repeatedly with low breaks right at the base of the eye. In fact, if you woudl like to send us your splices, we would be happy to test them and send to you the report. Once again, its not our objective to confuse people, it is to supply a safe and reliable product that is fit for purpose to its intended use. If you should require an eye splice in a climbing line, may I suggest a 16 strand rope 1/2" If this is in a rigging rope, exactly how are you using the eye splice and what benefit does it add to your system? Thanks all, I hope this helps.

Jamie, thanks for your reply and also thanks to Nigel for bringing this interesting subject to your attention, however the splice in question was not created by me, but another member on this forum, if you had actually read the thread you would at least know that, tsk,tsk.

I do however splice a little, double braid and sixteen strand so if the test offer still stands?

Edited by High Scale

*The only way the final bury can be done is if the weave is made looser during the braiding process. They actually have to stop the braiding machines, reset the strand tension to a lower level, braid about a foot of line loosely, and then stop everything again and reset the tension back to normal.*

This information I have just read, so the braiding is done on a machine so you could say that the splice is machine assisted as I am sure the whole rope is not braided by hand?

• 2 weeks later...