Tree stump killer

silvafox

I may have made an accidental oversight and continued to use the last of my Amcide (Ammonium Sulphamate) stock to treat stumps. Now its all gone and I've found out it has been banned by our european friends. So what do we use now? Can anyone please enlighten me. :confused1:

Hi all, sorry not been around for a while ("no worries Paul!" did I hear you say?..ha)

Had an interesting chat about this the other day when a potential loophole (yet to be substantiated) was uncovered to continue the use of AS but as a tree stump treatment ONLY and not as a herbicide and not for typcial herbicide uses, i.e. weedkiller of perniceous woody perennials.

The chap reckoned his supplier had said they could still do so (supply) provided they didn't refer to it as a herbicide and indicated it as a tree stump ONLY treatment.

If this is so then it may mean we can continue to purchase and use it BUT I do need to confirm such with HSE/Pesticide Authority.

Paul

I work for the Environment Agency and was advised by a colleage to use glyphosate at between 3:1 and 5:1. Because we mostly work on river banks we have to use products licensed for use in or near water so it's usually Roundup Pro-Biactive. He also recommended that the herbicide should be applied within 10 minutes of cutting the stump, left for longer the tree may already have started to try to heal itself and effectiveness of the glyphoste will be reduced.:001_cool:

This system has so far worked without fail on willow, alder, poplar, ash, hawthorn and silver birch.:thumbup:

Hi all, sorry not been around for a while ("no worries Paul!" did I hear you say?..ha)

Had an interesting chat about this the other day when a potential loophole (yet to be substantiated) was uncovered to continue the use of AS but as a tree stump treatment ONLY and not as a herbicide and not for typcial herbicide uses, i.e. weedkiller of perniceous woody perennials.

The chap reckoned his supplier had said they could still do so (supply) provided they didn't refer to it as a herbicide and indicated it as a tree stump ONLY treatment.

If this is so then it may mean we can continue to purchase and use it BUT I do need to confirm such with HSE/Pesticide Authority.

Paul

Sounds a bit suspect. I know it's been withdrawn due to the license holder not submitting the necessary re-licensing information, all things considered, I'm not sure my insurance company would be keen on me exploiting a loop hole when clearly the intention is there to use a product for a purpose that has been banned if there was an incident on site. There may also have been a reason why re-licensing wasn't sought..... Like others suggested follow the instructions and pop on some glyph. Its a bit like all the contractors that were using simazine for years after it was banned in amenity use but still allowed in soft fruit production (there must have been entire counties planted with raspberries to use the amount that was sold) it's not really best practice. Another good one is mixing up your own Pistol using Glyph and DFF in the form of Sempra. about a third the price of Pistol - and the list goes on........school boy chemistry paying off at last