Soft wood Timber framers... Any one intersted in building a barn?

bareroots

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi there gents, :thumbup:

the shed has been tidied. clips and straps for all the gear. who'd of believed it possible.

Got an alaskan. need to get the felling lisence in place then they're coming down. need someone experienced with soft timber to pass it through building regs etc. i ain't got a :confused1:

hi there gents, :thumbup:

the shed has been tidied. clips and straps for all the gear. who'd of believed it possible.

Got an alaskan. need to get the felling lisence in place then they're coming down. need someone experienced with soft timber to pass it through building regs etc. i ain't got a :confused1:

I've got a small plantation of Norway Spruce and have built a round pole frame using it.

As far as I'm aware if it's grown in this country it's no good for construction as it grows too fast and the rings are too far apart.

It's incredibly light when dry and tends to crack. I did my frame with loose tenons of oak and oak pegs, wattle and daub panels.

I've got a small plantation of Norway Spruce and have built a round pole frame using it.

As far as I'm aware if it's grown in this country it's no good for construction as it grows too fast and the rings are too far apart.

It's incredibly light when dry and tends to crack. I did my frame with loose tenons of oak and oak pegs, wattle and daub panels.

Any reflections on using it in the round? how's the barn now?

I've heard that it's not used for construction in the uk. is that in so far as, it's not sawn into say 2by4's because it doesn't come upto strength or the whole trees are just crap?