Any computer experts here?

Quickthorn

I'm having trouble with my computer. Sometimes, I can't get it to switch on at all. There's power getting to the motherboard, because a green LED comes on. I can press the power switch repeatedly, nothing will happen, then suddenly it will power up and everything's fine.It's an intermittent fault, with no apparent rhyme nor reason, which has been getting worse.

My normal approach would be to soak it with WD40, hit it, soak it with more WD40, then look for terminals to short out with a 10p piece, or something, but I'm not sure if that would work here. Any ideas?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to keep things for as long as I can keep them going, but I'm starting to think that the hardware on this thing's about had it. The trouble is, now it's starting to go wrong, I'm realising how much stuff I do on it..all my accounts, my tax and vat is all online, etc. Perhaps I'd better start counting the pennies for a new one.

Could be anything though id check the most obvious first ...loose/faulty wires. Pull all of your internal connections out blow out any dust and put them back in.

I wouldnt do the 10p thing or WD40 you might end up frying your computer. Evan a bit of static can fry your pc so earth yourself if you decide to open up the casing