Broken cylinder fins

Brushcutter

Hi

My 357xpg had a accident yesterday. Long story short the top two fins on the left of the cylinder are broken, their right hand counterparts remain intact.

Will it be ok to use or will i need to by a new cylinder , which is most likely as much as a new saw. could i just tack weld them on?

Thanks

Andy

I recon too! its not like they are a balanced part that turns fast and could throw the rest of the machine out... i would worry more about them being gummed up with chain oil and sawdust,changing a cylinder if its in your capabiltiy is not expensive its the labour!

If your really worried search the saw forum on arborsite they seem to know all there is to know

do you mean the cooling fins? shouldn't make much difference if any, obviously air cooling these fins is the only cooling the engine has. if the rest of the fins are clean then you still have a good surface area for cooling.:thumbup1: how did the accident happen? i nearly drove over one of my saws yesterday..

Just keep the rest of the fins clean & ensure the air flow ports or not blocked. Watch out for pinking if it gets to hot. Tack welds wont help as the heat wont jump the air gap where its not welded. A full weld could alter the shape of the head. You could use a chemical metal to fix them on, not sure what the heat transfer properties of it is mind.

do you mean the cooling fins? shouldn't make much difference if any, obviously air cooling these fins is the only cooling the engine has. if the rest of the fins are clean then you still have a good surface area for cooling.:thumbup1: how did the accident happen? i nearly drove over one of my saws yesterday..

yes. A branch hit the saw that snapped out of another tree while taking down a hung up. I can stick them back on with liquid steel.