tec cert

Glen Poole

I was told that it was a waste of time me doing a Tech Cert because I have a forestry degree. I enjoyed the course at Merrits and passed the exam at the first time of trying. I did go for one management day exam but soon realised that it is complete set up. The examiner knew some of the candidates, I was asked some very silly questions about subsidence in the BS5857 exam. The woodland and the identification exam are really just memory and spelling tests without the benefit of siting down somewhere comfortable. I did think about retaking the management day and went on the Tree Life preparation day but after been talked to like an idiot by one of the examiners and having a very unsuccessful conversation about reasonable adjustments with one examiners and ABC Awards. I decided that it just was not worth the pain and hustle of having a second go at the management day.

Also if you want to do an Arb or Forest degree it is cheaper and easier to A Levels on-line or at evening school/college.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Tech Cert will cover all aspects of BS5837 including conducting surveys and report writing

I am surprised that Common Lime had such a bad time of it, I didnt have any of the problems he mentioned, and I didnt get the impression that the others felt the same way? I did the Tree Life revision course and found it most inspiring and interesting (and it covered stuff that I think was perhaps "missed" by my training provider). It also provided useful hints for exam technique and what the examiners are looking for.

Yes, the Tech Cert will cover all aspects of BS5837 including conducting surveys and report writing

I am surprised that Common Lime had such a bad time of it, I didnt have any of the problems he mentioned, and I didnt get the impression that the others felt the same way? I did the Tree Life revision course and found it most inspiring and interesting (and it covered stuff that I think was perhaps "missed" by my training provider). It also provided useful hints for exam technique and what the examiners are looking for.

I had already been a Tree Officer's and was working as an Arb Consultant thanks to my Forestry degree. I have no surprise that the people that have passed the management day have no issue with the format of it. As, I said ABC awards were not very helpfully with arranging reasonable. When, I was at Uni the identification test was open book and not a spell test, this is very common at colleges and Uni. The marking scheme seems to be a little odd for this test you get 5 marks out of ten because you can the spell the sample correctly (have they not heard of a spell checker) also you get one mark for noting when a plant is native but no marks for noting it is a non-native, this not the only anomaly in the marking scheme. The other assessments out-side who in the REAL WORLD does not sit down at a desk with a computer and a spell check and write woodland management plans, risk assessments and BS 5837 reports are these assessments testing your knowledge and expertise or your ability to undertake exams in the great British outdoors? When you are out on a site visit there is no one disturbing you in mid throught asking you questions if these were so important to being a competent Arb why weren't they on the exam paper? Finally unlike the exam paper the examiners know who the candidates are!

This is meant to be for people coming from a craft level, the majority of these people probably do not consider themselves as academic yet they have a spell test in it and are useless at arranging reasonable adjustment. When, I was at Uni I had extra time and used a laptop to type up my mid-term and end of year exams. Given that so many people undertake surveys using hand held computer why are these not allowed to be used when undertaking the outside exams?I am not sure but, I think that it is a peer examination so the past mark changes from year to year.

The syllabus for the exam is great but the method that they use to test this knowledge is fundamentally unfair and more irrelevant by the day.:thumbdown:

You should see how they mark the proff dip. The ID section is also without reference material. The speices list is Hilliers, over 4000 species and cultivars. At the last management day less then 25% of the candidates passed, and these are candidates who had passed the three exams which are equally challenging.

If you can pass it your have to know your stuff, but it does exclude those of us who don't do well in exams and cant spell. Examining people is always difficult, it has to be a bit difficult, or whats the point!

I have a 2.1 BSc in Ecology and a PGCE. I thought the prof dip would be staight forward for me, but don't think I could EVER pass it. Especialy not while running a business and looking after 3 small children.. I was studying at tree life but Switched to the Tech Cert in the hope of getting something out of my efforts. Tech Cert covers similar stuff at a lower level.

Jaimee, did you do some exams this summer? How did they go?

I woud like to do something which will make me fully conversant with BS 5837. Is this the course for me?

I understand the commitment to study, and I find it very rewarding.

Could be - otherwise Treelife do a short course specifically for BS5837.

I would ring Keely at Treelife about the Tech Cert to find out if it is running next year. I think it will depend on whether the new course material and exams have been written. She will have the latest info. Home