tec cert

Glen Poole

Yeah basically paper 1 is science 2 is personnel and management this paper is things like legislation for personnel and can include financial side of business and the paper 3 is law.

I sat the course last year i was the random person sat at the front of the room for paper 2 and 3.

Back to you doug i would say it would be helpful to try and get some sort of background reading in before the course maybe ask the course tutor to recommend a book list as i feel this would help. Also try and go for an actual course you can attend one day a week if possible as a friend of mine has just done the same course over the internet and i just feel it helps to be among other students as it can be easier to bounce ideas of each other but just my opinion.

I cant fully remember many of the questions as my brain went into melt down but there was a question relating to the plant health act and the forestry act for instance state 10 exemptions for a felling licence. sorry its not a lot to go on will try and dig out a previous question if you like?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck lads!

sorry if this is a derail/off topic, and i think i may have touched on this in an earlier thread,

how does Tech Cert compare to Nation Diploma in Arboriculture?

i ask because i have completed the latter, and am wondering is there any point in trying for the tech, or should i go straight to a higher course?

any input appreciated,

chris

Good luck lads!

sorry if this is a derail/off topic, and i think i may have touched on this in an earlier thread,

how does Tech Cert compare to Nation Diploma in Arboriculture?

i ask because i have completed the latter, and am wondering is there any point in trying for the tech, or should i go straight to a higher course?

any input appreciated,

chris

Chri hi, I believe the tech cert is a level 3 qual, same as the national diploma and whilst i'm sure they differ slightly in what they offer I would think you're better off going straight to the hnd, foundation degree or prof dip(if it's still running).

It's something i'm currently looking into myself heres a link to the aa qual's page.

Further guide to qualifications and careers in arboriculture

Hope this helps:thumbup1:

It is highly likely that the Tech Cert will be a Level 4 when it is running again as is it in the process of being altered to fit in with the new QCF framework

I did the Tech Cert and found it fascinating - I would recommend doing it through a college rather than self study - I think the qualification isnt running at present due to the changes but hopefully it will be ready to be relaunched in Sept at Level 4

I think the National Diploma in Arb is only a Level 2 isnt it?

The Tech Cert gives you a qualification that allows you to become a member of the Arb Assocation which I dont think the ND arb does.

It depends where you want to go with your Arb courses - th ND is aimed at tree surgeons etc whereas the Tech Cert is aimed at people who want to become tree officers/consultants/surveyors and is a paper based course - whereas the ND is hands on/practical learning as well as paper based.

I have to say - the Tech Cert isnt easy - its all exams - no coursework - not many people pass first time - most people have to resit at least one exam/or the management day exams. The ND (I think) involves coursework and exams.

cheers ian, thats what i suspected, i think i will progress to one of the higher courses in the next year or two.

what course were you thinking of doing?

Hi chris, apologies for the delay in answering your question, i'm looking at the tech cert(esp if it becomes level 4) as a stepping stone to the prof dip or bsc(via the foundation degree) in a few years.

I did the rfs cert arb about 15 yrs ago and think i'm very overdue a new academic challenge-already anxious about the brainache:blushing:

Good job. I hope the results are everything you'd hoped for. I'm looking into doing the Tech Cert this september, I had a chat with the kind people at the Tree Life tent at the Arb show last week. I'm lucky because I live closest (45 minute drive) from Westonbirt, and entry/parking is free on the days you do your course which starts at 1pm, so time to wander beforehand. It's a sign, I definitely should do it haha.

i did nd.arb in 1997, six years ago i went backwards and took rfs cert arb,very good qual for hands-on stuff at arborist level, infact, tbh most academics would struggle to pass it as its very hands on,and practical knowledge based,

then in sept 2008 started tech cert, tbh i felt that i had to go backwards to regain it all again, so did tech cert,which is the same as nd,arb at the moment, level 3.

im now doing prof dip arb, and 1 thing that is evident is that the higher up the levels you go the more it is deemed that you know all the science stuff, at level six we have'nt even looked at parenchyma cells etc as its assumed that this is your basic knowledge, its very strange how it works tbh, and the higher up you go the more irrelevant such stuff becomes,

having done all levels i have better grasp of it all, but really wouldnt have wanted to drop onto prof dip without doing tech cert first, the managemnet of stuff is different from knowing about the stuff, takes long time to adjust to that way of thinking, and tech cert really is very good for going on to the 5 plus levels

guess depends how long ago you did nd,arb, and also how long you have,im 32 so age wasnt that big a factor i have good few years climbing before an=y of this is going to be used in consultancy full-time

Guest topperbob

Hi Doug, its a full on course and a huge commitment but it will give you a completely different opinion of the industry once you complete the course, this will be noticed by your clients, in a good way. It will not make you a millionaire, but then anyone with a passion for trees will always be poor, but you will join the league of gentleman. Topperbob.