superwinch husky feedback

Charlieh

Hi, wondered if anyone is running these, whats your views on them good/bad/indifferent, i have been looking at a 12v set up, not really interested in pto or hydrualic as it will only be for occasional directional felling assistance and timber recovery from wet boggy areas where i cant get the atv into, spool in speed isnt important so happy enough with the retrevial speed of this model

also views on the rope type appreciated as well, wire or synthetic?

Cheers :thumbup:

Hi, wondered if anyone is running these, whats your views on them good/bad/indifferent, i have been looking at a 12v set up, not really interested in pto or hydrualic as it will only be for occasional directional felling assistance and timber recovery from wet boggy areas where i cant get the atv into, spool in speed isnt important so happy enough with the retrevial speed of this model

also views on the rope type appreciated as well, wire or synthetic?

Cheers :thumbup:

ps, if your going to use the winch for directional felling, do you think it will be fast enough? Also, chech the rating on the winch, they are not designed for continuous use and can burn out easliy..

i have a superwinch on the landy, ok its a big ep 12.5 but its quality and i have done loads of directional felling with it. as for the rope i use synthetic dyneema bow rope because its sooo much lighter and very,very strong.

My husky has done all ive needed of it, felling, self recovery, pulling out hedges, and pulling out big logs. Cant fault it.

Mine is running a wire, but a thought for anyone using synthetic, be careful of UV rays. It rots winch wires really quickly.

I assume you are asking about the Husky , made by Superwinch , which has the motor at rightangles to the drum. When I first started competing in winch challenge events in a 4x4 about 15 years ago a few people used these and I never saw one broken. A big advantage is that due to the worm drive gearbox the winch does not need a friction brake so will hold any load in any situation with minimal wear and tear. This design also means that there is no chance of damaging a synthetic rope when paying out long distances under load. Many of the cheaper (and some of the dearer) designs can lead to heat building up inside the drum due to friction in the braking mechanism when , for instance , a heavy load is lowered a long distance . This can lead to some types of sythetic rope melting and failing.

The Husky winches I use at work with the Environment Agency are extremely reliable. If line speed is not an issue I would avoid the more commonly available options that run faster, the only other penalty you will pay with a Husky is weight, but synthetic rope will largely offset this.

All those recovery lorries using Huskys should give a clue to their durability. If you get one in good order you'll never want to get rid of it.

The husky is a very durable piece of kit, and as has been said reliable and basic etc etc. Before reading the other posts i would have said steer clear of electric winches for log pulling, especially stuck logs. I used to burn out the solenoids on an X9 superwinch, even when fitting the 'albright' (better quality ) ones. This is why i ended up with a PTO winch, but from earlier posts i would say that it would be a good choice.

Its not a superwinch but i decided to spend a bit more and got the warn m8000 with the radio control. absolutely brilliant tool, very powerful and doesnt stop pulling. We use it for speedlining, directional felling, winching logs out etc. superwinches are cheaper but i use mine everyday and i would get another warn tomorrow. There is even a 1.5 tonne one on my quad!!

I used to have a Warn M8000 on my competition vehicle and it was excellent, and it would cope well with a more powerfull motor too. It has the brake-inside-the-drum design that can get really hot after a lot of paying out under load, so beware if you have synthetic rope on one.

Mine never broke, it still worked under water and it wasn't too bulky or heavy but it did take time and care to keep the cable neat on the drum as there was very little spare capacity there. If pulling off-centre it was often necessary to stop and relay the cable.

If you go for a Husky you can either fit more cable on or use a shorter one and have space to let it build up at one end sometimes - or a bit of both. The drum is bigger than most other models. Another bonus of the larger drum is that you can afford to keep the vehicle further from the risky areas of the job, even if you need a double pull with a snatch block for a heavy load.