Quotes over the phone.

Mesterh

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Companies have systems in place, and each employee will be picked for their skills and trained to deal with situations that will arise when dealing with customers, you are have more than likely went on courses for chainsaw operations and sat tests to operate vehicles and machinery but you are relying on your own social skills with your customer care and peolpe skills, if you find you are constantly having trouble with customers and even other peolple in your day to day life then its time to consider taking a course or seeking advice from a professional.

Stevie, I totally agree that all calls need dealing with in a certain way, and can all potentially lead to work.

I think Mesterh is saying that this customer was not interested in listening to his reasons for not pricing over the phone.

I've had loads like it down the years, and TBH this type of customer has never brought in much work.

You see them as a no-BS straight shooter.

I see them as an ignorant thicko. My nine-year-old niece would know you couldn't price tree work over the phone.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be courteous and try arrange to pop round and give them a quote, because you never know....

Call it a draw fellas. Some good and valid points raised throughout.

who says you cant price over the phone, just because you guys havent found a way. Do you guys actually know how much you make on each job? do you work out your costs then add a percentage or do you just say a price that sounds right in your head once you get there?

Every job is different mate.

Conifer topping grown through with Russian vine? Price very high.

Medium Sycamore fell with tea made by fit 21-year-old nympho daughter? Price very low.

:001_tongue:

I have a figure I would like to achieve each day, then have to factor in labour, gear used, muck-away (or timber gained), hire costs (if any), distance, fuel etc.

I also take into account risk and enjoyment factor.

Nah, just look at the car on the drive and work out how much I can screw out of them....:001_tt2:

Stevie

Your looking at it wrong mate, you are taking it as though everytime we pick up the phone we shout and ball at our customers.

I get it about twice a year mate, the rest of the time I dont have problems.

Pricing jobs over the phone is simply suicide, it is not impossible but it will come back and bite you in the butt big style very often

Never ever ever give a price over the phone or even an idea of price, once the seed is planted they'll hold you to it