Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Gnarlyoak

I've recently been diagnosed with a moderate level of CTS, apparently just below the threshold where surgery would be required as the recommended treatment.

CTS is a condition that causes pain, numbness and a burning or tingling sensation in your hand and fingers. The carpal tunnel is a small tunnel that runs from the bottom of your wrist to your lower palm. Several tendons that help to move your fingers pass through the carpal tunnel. The median nerve also passes through the tunnel, which controls sensation and movement of your hand. The nerve and tendons are protected by a ridge of bone and ligaments. In cases of CTS, the space inside the tunnel shrinks, placing pressure on the median nerve. Compression of the nerve results in symptoms of pain and numbness.

Does anyone else suffer from this. Did you have any non-surgical treatment which helped, or have you had surgery for this and if so how long did it take you to recover and what sort of physical limitations did you experience during your recovery?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE Recovery.

If i can offer what seems like fairly obvious advice here. My dad had this operation some years ago, ( been in the same profession as us lot for a few years.)

He had both wrists done at the same time thinking he could get back to work sooner and not lose extra time having them done one by one.

He did'nt take into acount the small things he'd need help with.....:bootyshake:

Lets just say, luckily my mum was'nt too squeemish as had done this sort of thing before when she'd worked in an old folks home.

Good luck, but i'd do one at a time if i were you mate.

Im suffering with the same problem mate. I need both of mine operating on but haven't got the time at the min.

So what they've done is give me the injection of steroids which as eased the pins and needles at night.

If your border line mate then maybe the injection will do for now?

As for what causes it. It can be anything from vibrations to falling over and landing on your hand!

It's not causing me too many problems at the moment, it kind of comes and goes and is more annoying than unbearable. Waking up in the night and both hands "have gone to sleep" with painful pins and needles. Occasionally I find my right hand and fingers just start to go numb, when I'm driving; cleaning my teeth, err... operating a chainsaw for long periods! And just very occasionally every now and then my hand will just stop working! Very bizarre, my brain tells me I'm wiggling my fingers and yet I'm looking at a rigid claw that ought to belong to some B movie godzilla type lizard monster. It only lasts a few seconds, but very disconcerting none the less!

I've had my diagnosis, now being referred back to GP for long term prognosis/treatment, which will probably mean put up with for now come back when it gets worse and then we'll think about surgery.

CPS is a form of RSI (repetitive strain injury) is more common in over 40's and in my case probably resulting from operating a chainsaw and supporting its weight over long period of time. (So as ever another reminder that work positioning in our job is so very important as well as rotating tasks so that your not spending too much time doing one particular task too much/too long). Other causes can be previous damage or injury to the wrist area, such breaking your wrist or cutting the tendon, and it can also be common during pregnancy.

my mum had hers done. both at the same time,,, she is a bit older though,,

I'm 36 and it's hit me smack in the face about a month back,,, both hands are locked solid in the morning, wrists feel like someones stabbing them during the night..

3.15pm and mine are still hurting like hell... i know i'm putting it off but work is busy, and i cannot afford time off....

Had one wrist done last mid-October, was working in December, albeit not on the saws, mainly chipping and driving. Come January all was fine, just took a bit of strength-building over time.

Had the other wrist done last week, seems better than the first one post-op, hoping to be back in another 4-5 weeks! That's both done by the time I'm 29, which is apparently pretty darn rare!

I'd say get it done, haven't had any problems with the first since the surgery. Pain in the arse having to have time off, but has sorted the problems for everyone I know who's had the surgery.

Yep I have it too.

real pain in the arse. I wake up through the night with pins n needles, only goes when I shake both hands to get the blood flowing again.

I can almost forget playing the guitar at the moment and playing the xbox hurts like hell sometimes, thank god for pause buttons!!!!!!

as for an op!!!! forget it. the only time I could risk having the time off would be winter but then with a long recovery time could i afford the time off?? Thats the problem with working for yourself!!!

ok, so not putting it off anymore,, have been to the docs on tuesday,, was prescribed some painkillers to get me through but they made me fall asleep...

blood tests are done as it looks like i have arthritis too..

if only i had an opposable thumb on my foot...