My new web site- your valued opinions!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the free one, but im going to cancel the blog and grade up to the 5 quid a month job

That one has a quarter of the storage of the blog and will always give you an inferior site. Storage is very important on a site with lots of pics.

To see what I mean about the site, right click with your mouse on this site, click on view page source and scroll down the whole page. What you are seeing is the code that makes this site work, and also makes it super findable and rankable by the search engines.

Now go to your site and do the same. Click somewhere in the centre on the bit that isn't adverts or other rubbish.

That one has a quarter of the storage of the blog and will always give you an inferior site. Storage is very important on a site with lots of pics.

To see what I mean about the site, right click with your mouse on this site, click on view page source and scroll down the whole page. What you are seeing is the code that makes this site work, and also makes it super findable and rankable by the search engines.

Now go to your site and do the same. Click somewhere in the centre on the bit that isn't adverts or other rubbish.

A HA, I see, but what does it mean?

Argh, so theres a price to pay for mucho cheapness!

maybe I will keep the free one for the free ten pages, use it as a profile kind of thing and link up with the blog?

That site is basically an image that you modify. All the text etc that you add is basically laid over the image. Actually its a bit like a video, or flash media to be more precise. Search engines aren't good at seeing or understanding images, thats why its SO important to tag all images properly.

You will notice when you right click on your site you dont even get the view page source option. Here's the sneaky bit. If you right click on their bits of your site such as the advertising, the source is available. This allows them to gain maximum benefit from the search engines whilst allowing you hardly any.

There is usually a detrimental effect of going for much cheapness. Unless you listen to me:001_tt2:

I told Tony about Webeden.

It is basic, but you can easily increase Mb without too much expense.

Like me, I guesss Hamma is relatively new to Web site building malarky.

He'll learn loads through playing with it, I know I have.

Here's roughly where I'm at currently.........:001_smile:

treefung-ous

Fwiw, this is really about reflection & sharing what I see, it's not meant to be scientific or offering any service.

Edited by Monkey-D

Monkeyd

I can see the attraction of such a site, but for the cost of it he could be using a much better application. Its as simple of that really. I did advise him what I thought he should use and he obviously went for your recommendation instead.

The slideshow feature you are using on yours is very effective but it is to the detriment of the picture quality. I have just looked at identical pictures both on here and on your site and on here the quality looks better. Although to be fair I do use an exceptionally high quality monitor on this computer as I use this one for checking sites are Pixel perfect. I suppose as I do critique sites by the pixel, I may be slightly too unbiased to give a 'laymans' type opinion. Look at the pics on both sites and see what you think.

The information I was giving to Tony regarding SEO is equally valid on your site too. It really is a fundamental flaw, IMO. Giving you space to stick a few key words in, really doesn't cut it in todays SEO battle for traffic.

I hope you find my comments useful, it is how they are intended.:001_smile:

Always open to criticism Mr Climber. :thumbup1:

Though I don't believe that my fumblings are ultimately what will turn out out to be my legacy.

Just a tool to help me on my journey through cyberworld. :001_smile:

Had about a thousand visits to the site, which is no great shakes I know, but tbh I'm not really fussed about numbers, I'm not selling owt. :001_rolleyes:

Get the point about the imagery though, will be something I will change at some point.

Edited by Monkey-D