chainsaw mill

arbormaster

There is quite a bit of wastage with a chainsaw mill (ie width of chainsaw chain vs width of bandsaw blade), and clean up is a problem if required.

However, a chainsaw mill (hardware only) costs only a fraction of a bandsaw mill, as you probably allready own the chainsaw. Only thing left to buy is a ripping chain.

Also a small bandsaw mill can only handle small diameter logs, and usually requires two people, where as chainsaw mill can handle logs the diameter of the bar length, and can be operated by one person. Obviously a larger bandsaw mill could be operated by one person due to frame etc, but you are talking serious money.

There is a place for both.

If you want to see milling pictures of both, check out http://www.mobilesawing.co.uk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work.

i slabbed up a sycamore 2.5ft with a logosol big mill earlier this year. i did not have the equipment to move the log and wanted the wood for a workbench.

Milling used up a hell of o lot of oil, and slow/hard going, but produced some lovely pieces of pattered wood. - well worth the effort.

Did you have any problems?

Hi, the only problem was it was taking about 15min for each cut and it vibrates your hand really hard. i expect that with a softer wood and/or smaller diameter its going to be easier.

Lovely bits of wood though, think i might keep a smaller bit.

If you wont to run an oversized bar on a 066 try putting a smaller chain on it eg .325.

I run a 50" bar on an 088 with .404 when felling or crosscutting then swop the bar tip and sproket for .325 when milling. I hav a 4 roler type mill from chainsawmills.co.uk and havent founde a mill to better it, payed for itself in 2 jobs.

The bar is a cannon from tavistock chainsaws.

Grey Git - I have been looking at a Cannon bar from tavistock for milling. How do you rate them against standard stihl/husky bars?

Best bars I have ever run. done quite a lot off cutting with this long bar since i got it and still very little wear on the bar railes compared to outher bars iv used. The best thing is the lack of barr sag when felling so you can keep a nice level cut. the quality far outweighs the cost so give them a go.

Ps carving bars are good aswell!!