chesnut village focal point what to do?

MattyF

We had TPO'd Horse Chestnut with bleeding canker, I recomended fell but we only got permision to reduce.. We got to go back and fell it a year later as it just didn't recover. I rekon reducing is just going to stress the tree more. You do get paid twice however...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tree looks to be in a serious state of decline, if you reduce too much you will push the tree over the edge...... Again air spading will also stress the tree too much...

A myc treatment will help prolong the life of the tree but not cure... Do you have any more pics of the stem to show the extent of the girdling ?

The best way to deal with these is to remove any targets and also remove the worse affected branches. Get some one in to qtra the tree if you are uncertain about poss of failure and chance of causing harm:icon14:

Get some one in to qtra the tree if you are uncertain about poss of failure and chance of causing harm:icon14:

I agree with you up to this point. Why use a fundamentally flawed system system to inaccuratley put an arbitary figure on something that requires the application of common sense and a structured assesment?

out of my hands now ..unfortunietly or not its gone to a top consultant....what ever his verdict or treatment required my insurance does not cover me to make those decisions ...as soon as i said remove the bench ect they panicked and said they would be admittiing there was a fault i would rather be covered by a consulants point of view for any work carried out evan though i know what i would want to do..

Yeah well...if it is a matter of safety then the system ( qtra or worse threat ) probably will do little to inform the situation ( did you say panicked...mmmm...) but as to the possible issue of covering your arse then this may help.

" why use a flawed system..?..." If by not doing so thwarts the implementation of a flawed system then all well and good. If you end up the culpable mouthpeice by default you might feel a tad peed off....just a thought!

Yeah well...if it is a matter of safety then the system ( qtra or worse threat ) probably will do little to inform the situation ( did you say panicked...mmmm...) but as to the possible issue of covering your arse then this may help.

" why use a flawed system..?..." If by not doing so thwarts the implementation of a flawed system then all well and good. If you end up the culpable mouthpeice by default you might feel a tad peed off....just a thought!

Translation without the cryptic BS please?

Shouldnt really need to as MattyF points out his insurers wont allow him to stick his neck out and take his opinion seriously.A decision he no longer is ablt to make. As to the question of endorsing a system that fails to deliver, again a decision he cannot take apparently. It all seems to endorse a system that fails to be cohesive and so the mechanisms are uninformed ..or flawed.

Again air spading will also stress the tree too much...

A myc treatment will help prolong the life of the tree but not cure...

Good point regarding myc, however IMO it would be a waste of time inocultating with soil that compacted, i'm going with the university of Masachusets [sp] and suggest soil de-compaction....

Management strategies:

Use a combination of cultural measures and plant resistance to manage Phytophthora bleeding canker. Too little as well as too much soil moisture plays a significant role with this disease. Trees growing where there was a water shortage had extensive cankers. However, if provided with soaking irrigations of the root zone during dry periods, and it appeared that the trees could compartmentalize the canker infections. Maintain a well-drained site through ''''soil aeration and improved drainage'''' Provide several inches of composted bark mulch