To sub or not to sub? This is my question

mikedrums69

Hi guys. How are you all doing? Hope works going well?

Right finding a full-time position isn't going alot harder than i first thought. I've been ringing and sending out my CV around my local companies (upto 30 miles from my home address). I'm still waiting to here back from a few and have a lot more to get in contact, but there doesn't seem to be enough work around at the minute for them to take me on full- time.

Some of them have said there maybe a few days/weeks work and others have said they'll keep my details for future work. So i'm slowly getting my name out there.

My big question is this. Because there isn't work out there, should i Sub-contract and work for many people/companies or should i just keep soldiering on till i find full-time employment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Sub contracting may require a load of expensive gear, insurance, and enough cash to cover you till the money starts coming in.

You will still need to find enough work, and you may get dropped like a stone at any moment.

If you are fully kitted out you are well on the way, if not it is a gamble.

If your name is out there already, go around the companies once more and offer them the subby option, but I wouldn't shell out too much unless you have some more positive offers of work.

Like Bolt said Going it alone as such costs a lot, especially if you goal is to become self sufficient as a sole trader type company. Lots of cost in getting a rigging kit for one, i didn't realise how much i would spend building up the system i wanted. Loler, insurance, comercial vehical cover, breakdown, holidays, sick, advertising, etc, all adds up and eats money like no tomorrow. If you subby for a few compainies its not a legal requirment to have insurance so that would save about a grand. But most companines would prefer you to have it. Going it alone is the most daunting thing i've ever had to do and getting your name and a good reputation is equally as hard, as round my way twice now a company has told clients i dont have insurance (which i do) to try and get the job. Subbying on the other hand can be a good stream of money if you get used frequently but wont get your name out to joe public as quick.

I worked for 9yrs for other firms and decided to go it alone with no subbying if i could because i wanted to do it my way and to my rules. Guess you've got to take the rough with the smooth.

Also how much experiance have you got??

Sub contracting may require a load of expensive gear, insurance, and enough cash to cover you till the money starts coming in.

You will still need to find enough work, and you may get dropped like a stone at any moment.

If you are fully kitted out you are well on the way, if not it is a gamble.

If your name is out there already, go around the companies once more and offer them the subby option, but I wouldn't shell out too much unless you have some more positive offers of work.

Yeah this is my worry. I've only my PPE and no other equipment, other than an Harness and i ain't gonna fork out anymore money until i know i have got the the job and can cover my expenses, so i'm not making any losses.

I've also thought about moving to where the work is. But not really sure i can do that at the moment

Times are hard at the moment :sneaky2:

Also how much experiance have you got??

Not alot!

I've only worked with 3 different places. But can offer good refs

What i really want is to stay at one place, gain experiance and work my up the ranks within that company. I'm rather loyal like that :001_tt2:

Threat your employer right and (hopefully) they will look after you

upto 30 miles??? do you only have a pushbike??? :001_tt2:

how much money are you asking? what work are you wanting?

Nah i have a car, But don't have a great deal of money for petrol.

Not much as im fairly inexperianced, but i do hold my 30/31/38/39