CS38 Questions/Gearing up

ecolojim

tbh, I dont know if climbing is going to be for me. It's been a tough old week. Branch walking has been by far the most difficult thing, and I really dont like doing it, especially on wet slippery branches like weve had all week.

today I hit a psychological wall with it all and couldnt bring myself to do more than set a high anchor point. with some encouragement from the instructor i moved round the tree, did some branch walking and swung myself out to some hard to reach areas.

I was fairly confident that I could achieve the required tomorrow, but it's absolutely throwing it down and thunder and lightning at the moment which isnt helping my resolve.

Just going to have to get in the zone and see how it goes I think

you guys who do this day in day out for a living have my utmost respect! I really wanted to be like you lot, but perhaps im just not cut out for it

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Respect for you trying mate.

I am sort of in the same boat r.e limb walking, it is one of those things that really messes with your head.

It`s all about trusting those anchor points and your gear, best way i found and quickest way of learning is getting into a tree with an expert who can help and encourage, done this with a lad at work and it made it all alot easyer.

I struggle with my physical fittnes as well being 35 and a bit of a bloater. I wish i took it up when i was 17 rather than sitting on a tractor for 17 years .

Just having ariel rescue would be a big result even if you don`t go on to cs39 , you would be a dam handy groundie for alot of surgeons.

Keep the faith mate and put everything into tommorrow.

good luck

If you can do it in training you can do it on assessment.

You cant expect to be fully confident in all your climbing abilities in 5 days, but you can do enough to pass the 38.

When you get on test, just work through it one thing at a time, and listen to the assessor, they will try to help you as much as they can.

Good luck!

thanks guys. the trees have been climbed so much over the years that theyre like glass even when dry. the first branch walk i did was out onto a branch with no foot holds, no nearby hand holds, no forks, nothing. really freaked me out. I think looking for crotches when selecting my branches is going to be the best thing, but I just cant get my feet to gain any purchase when im up there when the branches are wet, and I cant express in words how much it messes me up when I slip up there.

Im gonna do my very best, but if I bottle it I bottle it im afraid.

Well done Jim.

Are you going to do your 39?

I hope so... im a very cautious person though so Im going to spend some time getting my climbing up to scratch and my positioning spot on, get more comfortable in the canopy before I think about doing that. Watch this space

Well done mate! Now the real learning to climb starts!

Thanks mate. Yeah doesnt it just. I certainly plan to be at the get together at Dean's wood. I may or may not climb. Probably will, but Im going to enjoy watching you lot swinging about at any rate!