Cs47

John Hancock

this is something i've pondered over a few times & has come up in conversation at work a few times as well, is it really worth getting the cs47 unit when you've already got your using a chainsaw from rope & harness ticket & you've got an IPAF licence? Surely the types of cuts are the same, getting into a good work postion etc etc. This is not a slagging off for the unit i'm generaly interested in what it entails. My understanding of it was that it was for the guys & gals who have'nt got a cs38/39 to be able access the crown & know the different types of cuts etc etc. If i'm totally wrong then i do apologise but I cant help thinking that good old nptc/HSE are putting together courses just for the sake of it.

all the best for wed John:icon14:

I dont imagine this will be too popular a comment but I cant help thinking that you would have to be in employ of a LA to consider spending on this ticket assuming you already hold 39....

Oh bvut good for U JH

There appears to be some credible concerns tho' vis a vis the IPAF tickets...A veritable minefield of hair splitting grey areas revolving around which mewp blah blah blah...but this just the old mewp thing goin' round and round I guess!!

There appears to be some credible concerns tho' vis a vis the IPAF tickets...A veritable minefield of hair splitting grey areas revolving around which mewp blah blah blah...but this just the old mewp thing goin' round and round I guess!!

Well done Johnny Boy :wave:

Had a couple of the guys put through the one day IPAF on Monday. They came back saying that they got about 10 mins air time all day plus they were told that the the ticket would not cover anything other than a Genie Boom. No good to us as we have a trailered Denka DL28 and occasionaly hire in tracked 38s.

Luckily only really ever saw this as short term and will get the guys on the NPTC LEVEL 2 CERT OF COMPETENCE IN MOBILE ELEVATED WORK PLATFORMS and then possibly CS47 at a much later date.

John, after having completed course + assesment, do you think 47 is really relevent, if as i suspect you may already hold the cert of comp for Mewps + 39, 40 & 41.

Or is it as previously implied, just another string?

Well done Johnny Boy :wave:

Had a couple of the guys put through the one day IPAF on Monday. They came back saying that they got about 10 mins air time all day plus they were told that the the ticket would not cover anything other than a Genie Boom. No good to us as we have a trailered Denka DL28 and occasionaly hire in tracked 38s.

Luckily only really ever saw this as short term and will get the guys on the NPTC LEVEL 2 CERT OF COMPETENCE IN MOBILE ELEVATED WORK PLATFORMS and then possibly CS47 at a much later date.

John, after having completed course + assesment, do you think 47 is really relevent, if as i suspect you may already hold the cert of comp for Mewps + 39, 40 & 41.

Or is it as previously implied, just another string?

It was a good day all round! The assessment was postponed a few times before, once because the operators manual was not available for the MEWP and once because the work site was flooded. I chose to do the assessment today in one of our cemeteries (dead centre of town!)

All went well, first the actual assessment in operating the MEWP and when all four of us had passed that ,we went on to do the chainsaw cuts etc..

I must say its a bit daft that we have to be assessed on the same cuts that we've all done before on CS39. If you can use a chainsaw from a rope and harness you can certainly use one in a glass fibre basket!

I asked the assessor about using a powered pole-pruner from the basket and the answer, as I expected was ‘NO’ I guess if you need to reach with a pole-saw you should be in a better position or have a bigger MEWP.

Still, I'm happy, we all passed, the sun was out, no complaints from the residents and I'll still be climbing trees from a rope and harness! :wave: