A Thought for Today.

Andy Collins

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if I am entirely honest I wouldnt be the climber I am if I hadnt been "pushed" somewhat, but thats no excuse for those that push greens into over stepping thier limits.

For all the younguns listening, do not miss the message herein, if it dont feel right dont do it.

Fatigue is the enemy in 99% of cases, when your tired its time to go home.

Its a shame to hear about that Andy.

From my perspective its a Bit of a Catch 22 with the saying no policy because in the back of my mind since I'm new to the job, I can't help but think will this knacker up my references for other companies and will I get a bad reputation with other firms if I say no to one employer and they all talk to each other. I don't mind pushing my boundaries a bit at a time and getting more comfortable in the job but if I get asked to do something way out of my depth its a tricky situation to be put in - although having said that all the firms I have spoken to seem very friendly and genuine not wanting to push a newstarter too far. Just hope I can land myself more permanent work with a decent gang of blokes and avoid some of the cowboy outfits out there.

What would you more experienced guys say to that ? Wouldn't mind hearing your input on it as any info would be greatly appreciated in terms of what to look out for and when to walk.

If your not happy with the sitaution for any reason thats the point you speak up, sometimes other may think it too but are fearfull to bring it up, other times it may have gone unnoticed and you may highlight something that saves a life and become a hero!

Its not a case of walking as soon as something isnt right, if it can't be put right by a team leader then the manager/employer needs to be involved and issues resolved either by training/mentoring or new equipment in order to make the job safer.

If neither are willing to listen - THEN I would suggest its time to walk!

Definitely a good thought for the day.:thumbup1:

You do sometimes need to stop and think what your doing or how your doing it.

It is difficult though like others say in that you do need to push yourself and/or be pushed to get the best out of yourself and improve your skills.

All I would say though is if you do think something is way beyond your capabilities then dont have any fear in saying so and don't ridicule or push someone too far who does, as it may be on your conscience for the rest of your life.

We should all have a thinking/looking at what your doing day every now and then.:thumbup1:

Thanks guys for all the info/thoughts - It's good to know that Veterans such as yourselves share info like this to rookies such as myself and any others that come into the job. Will keep it firmly in mind while pushing myself. Did hear that too about tiredness/fatigue being the worst enemy to have along with dehydration.

Thanks again.

Years ago on a job, (I was chargehand, and the boss was on site) a young new climber was told to climb a dodgy tree. He spoke up and said he didnt feel it was safe to climb. I inspected it following this and agreed it would be safer to fell than risk climbing. i went over to the boss and told him our decision. The boss laughed and ridiculed him for being a wimp and said he'd do it himself. I told him what i thought of the tree, but he climbed it. When he was near the top, having reached his TIP, he moved out on a limb a little, and the tree fell over, the roots had completely rotted away. Luckily the boss walked away (sheepishly) and had the mickey taken relentlessly, but it vindicated the young climbers judgement. Never be afraid to make a call, its your life on the line.

Here, here Andy!

We have just put a policy in place that gives any person on a team the power to stop works on site if they feel anything is unsafe or they are unhappy about a task they are asked to perform, without prejudice.

I can remember situations working for companies in the past where I have been on a job and the climber has been inexperienced and asked to perform a task they are not competant in by the boss. Lukily I have not witnessed any major accidents but there is too much of a "get up there and knock it off lad!" attitude in this industry.

hear hear-unbelieavble-but it is often the case Kx