my first tricky ident while quoteing

testcricket01

im pretty below average atm with idents, got my RFS course coming up september though cant wait. had job to quote for today, couldnt for the life of me know what it was. had my book out still couldnt find it felt like a right idiot lol. took abit home and finally im desided its a cercis siliquastrum or judas tree to simple people like me. or i may be wrong and someone will correct me?

just wondered what the characteristics of this tree, as i have never worked on one this one in question is leaning right out the ground at about 45/50 degrees straight over a garage roof about 30ft tall.

thanks in advance :thumbup1:

DSC00102.jpg.a8280734fe827b0ef0ce0828437d7d87.jpg

Spot on James. Nice trees normally, have a slight tendancy to exhibit branch pullout failures but they rarely get big enough to be a problem.

The heart shaped leaves are the giveaway when they are not in flower (they occaisionally flower directly off the stem) - the only other large shrubby/tree thing that you might encounter that looks similar is the Katsura tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) which has opposite buds.

Edited by Amelanchier

Spot on James. Nice trees normally, have a slight tendancy to exhibit branch pullout failures but they rarely get big enough to be a problem.

The heart shaped leaves are the giveaway when they are not in flower (they occaisionally flower directly off the stem) - the only other large shrubby/tree thing that you might encounter that looks similar is the Katsura tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) which has opposite buds.

I got them wrong the other day, got told off by the client! I said Judas tree, feeling all clever and that, and she said no its a toffee tree!! (katsura)

cheers tony :thumbup1: , this one wont like a fat thing like my self on the tips of it by sounds of it then.

And the katsura leaves are much bigger too?? The British name i got told was from the time of the bible as 'judas' hung himself from this tree species.

Smaller I think.

I was looking from a distance!! Honest!

And the katsura leaves are much bigger too?? The British name i got told was from the time of the bible as 'judas' hung himself from this tree species.

I think that's probably a historic mistake. Its natural size and aforementioned branch pullout issues make it a bad tree to hang yourself from! Now Cedar of Lebanon, thats more likely to be Mr Iscariots tree of choice.