NPTC Training?

Is that actually you in your avatar:001_tt2:

Cheeky bugger. :lol:

You aren't even the first to make the comparison mate:blushing:

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to be arguementative for fun, just struck me as very obvious what the bloke was trying to achieve. And it may have been easier if he had come out and said it.

I think his first post should have been,

'Hi guys, I'm a Lantra instructor and am a bit concerned that everyone talks about NPTC training, when in fact you can be trained by someone such as myself and then be assessed for NPTC quals. Any thoughts or questions on this would be great guys, so I can work out how best to offer my services in the future.'

Thats what I would have written. Acting dumb and trying to seem surprised at answers he got, was what got to me.:001_smile:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to worry, I've had all the training ill ever need.

Ha! That's what you think and so did I but now I find myself in a strange situation, to be able to quote for one of my local authority's I have to refresh All my tickets because I did them, (my tickets) way back in 1994, so this tells me that my working experience means nothing, a newly qualified guy with up to date tickets but no on site experience has priority with the LA over myself.

This situation is crazy and loaded with stupidity.

Ha! That's what you think and so did I but now I find myself in a strange situation, to be able to quote for one of my local authority's I have to refresh All my tickets because I did them, (my tickets) way back in 1994, so this tells me that my working experience means nothing, a newly qualified guy with up to date tickets but no on site experience has priority with the LA over myself.

This situation is crazy and loaded with stupidity.

It is a crazy world mate. You can see why updates are required but like you said, the whole system is set up so that newly qualified lads are seen as better prospects than seasoned pro's. With the NPTC assesments being pretty much unfailable, its no wonder we have so many people working with saws or climbing, when they shouldn't even be allowed to use a crayon.

My comment was strictly true though mate, I dont do tree work any more, so wont be needing any more training.:001_tt2:

...... its no wonder we have so many people working with saws or climbing, when they shouldn't even be allowed to use a crayon.:

:thumbup1: Your bluntness is appreciated, long may it be a part of arbtalk.

My earlier post was about the general reception the poor guy was getting, he was being burried deep in a hole. Having said that, I am not the arbiter of these things, I was "modded" myself for bad behaviour just a few nights ago.:001_smile:

How come, what you doing now?

Its kind of a long story mate. I set up and ran a landscaping a tree work business as a friend bet me I couldn't do a 'proper' days work. That friend died in an accident shortly after the bet, so out of respect, and wanting to also prove it to myself, I booked myself on some courses at sparsholt, and started my business. I ran the business for several years, as the main climber. I sold the business last year, to an employee. Thats when I started coming on here. I found I genuinely had a passion for tree work and find it hard to just walk away from it to be honest. I still have a garage full of saws and climbing kit:blushing:

Anyway, as I think many of the regulars on here know, i'm actually a marketing consultant (you obviously haven't been paying attention in the Marketing thread). I do a lot of work for self employed and small business owners so being on here, gives me my arb fix and, helps me keep up to date with the business issues and general understanding of marketing, of the self employed and small business owners. Threads like the marketing one also give me a good opportunity to 'give something back' and give you guys lots of free advice.

Told you it was a long story. :biggrin: