Anyone any good with Palms????

miguel

I had a look on wiki last night, the fount of all knowledge:001_smile:

Theres a lot on there with links to articles and all sorts.

They seem to 'come back' from 'risomorphs'(not sure if right word as from memory) so from the roots, not necessarily from frost damaged bits. They seem to be quite hardy though.

We need Taupoman on this as these are native to NZ. They had a very cold winter last year, I was up in Northland at the time so I heard it was very cold down Taupo way.

My guess is that your one is just frost damaged in parts and will be fine. If it were my customer I'd do nothing to it for a season and see what happens.

These are indeed Cordylines and there are thousands of them that have been very badly damaged in the NW. I suggest that it was due to the snow that will have been sat in the plants as it was around for a couple of weeks.

They are normally hardy to about -5 but it has blown me away how many have died/dieback.

I advised a contractor to prune 1 particular plant in different ways to see how they respond. I am pretty sure that they regenerate from suckering so I would suggest maybe cut certain stems to ground level.

they can indeed regen from a stump - though not always a safe bet.

probably frost damage but there is a bacterial disease effecting cordyline not sure if its prevelant in the uk tho

Thanks everyone. Will see what the client wants to do and take it from there.

Regards

From my experience with these, and as some have said, this one is more than likely due to the harsh winter. I looked at one just the same yesterday. Pruning out the dead and old flower heads should be all thats required.

On the issue of regeneration, I have in the past cut them down and leave a stump approx 3 feet high. If this is done after any hard frost, but before June, there is a good chance of prolific regen, even to the point after the first season most sprouts may need removing and leave 3 or 4 strong shoots.