spike pains

conkers

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

My Spikes are a pair of steel climbers with twisted shanks from bashlin. The top pad contains a steel bar that curves around your shin and is covered by a thick layer of leather and then a thick layer of felt. They are a joy to work in and i've never had any aches or pains with them!

I try to keep the gaffs honed as sharp a possible all the time so i don't have to violently stab them into the stem - they just glide in with only the force of me stepping on them. this must help reduce the stress of using spikes.

I can't see how long gaffs will hurt your knees, but i'm not you.

I'm on spikes most days when i'm climbing. I don't do many prunes. I wear Kliens a with the top just short of my knee, like everyone has said. The straps go as tight as possible.

i can't see how a different brand will stop you hurting your instep / heel unless you have some ful length plate which would stop you using your feet properly.

Jamie

if you know a decent welder they could extend them i have altered every set i own 4 sets i think and my favorites were the cheapest but put some nice top pads on that makes a massive difference as does length

I have a pair of Bashlins that have a 3 inch extension which is made by Bashlin i am 6ft 6 and on full extension they are too big for me so they should be fine for everyone else.

I used to get that Ben till I changed boots and went onto Haix, doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

haha i use haix!!! its kinda family problem i think, me dad gets the same sometimes just like the bad wrists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad1:

i know the haix have a steel base which helps a hell of alot!!!!