Apprentice???

mtt.tr

Hello im currently 16, 17 at the end of this month. I am very interested in the world of tree surgery i am really after advice on what is the best option available to me.

I am currently in college doing a carpentry course, but it isn't what i want to do, i was intailly interested in taking up tree surgery and wished i hadn't gone down the carpentry route.

i would like an apprenticeship, and i have read through the threads on here about the bad work ethics of people around my age, although i would consider my self as a hard worker willing to work for nothing so long as it will help me into a career, and will be happy to do any work even sweeping up so i can get experience but my dream would be to become a tree surgeon

so any advice in what is the best route for me . Also im based in Essex and work in tesco part time now 6 months..

Many thanks for reading.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there,

Ring up local tree surgeons from the yellow page/google/local mags etc and ask for work experience for free labour thats how I worked my way up and how most did, I started off when I was at school doing work experience once a week and worked saturdays school holidays etc then I looked into what I could do then I hate schhool and college So new I wasnt going there found an apprentership that is perfect for me.

Can be frustrating at times a lot of monney involved and you need to put in a hell of a lot at work But it is all worth and now one year on after my apprenterhsip startted I passed cs31 (felling small trees)today.

Good luck and keep a wacth on here its great for advice etc.

The City of London at Epping Forest are running three apprentices a year for the next five years.

I believe they will soon be looking at applications for next years intake, possibly starting around September this year

In your shoes. I would certainly look into that.

I'll post up a link for you a little later :001_smile:

Was just about to make some calls one person said it would be difficult due to HSE

Unless I'm missing something I couldnt see why not?:confused1:

I was 15 when I started 2 years ago my boss passed health and saftey checks with a breezee, If needs be go out a get yourself a helmet and some toe capped boots then he cant complain at all

mtt.tr, welcome to Arbtalk! If I had my time again, and was your age, I'd get on a Arb course with a college, either the one yr NA, or 2yr ND. You will learn an awful lot more than just tieing a few knots. The lad who comes with us on work placement is doing his 1st yr of ND/Arb, and is absorbing information like a dry sponge. There are no issues with H&S, although strict guidelines must be followed. whilst studying, you can find a placement for your days away from college, which helps you see the "real world"of tree work, and if you show promise the company may even take you on at the completion of your studies.

I wish you well, and hope the advice we give you helps you on your way:thumbup1:

go for the apprentice route! ive done it and it really worked for me, just keep ringing every company you can find, ask them if they have ever thought about taking on an apprentice, and tell them all the college fee's are covered by the government if your under 18. so they just have to pay your wages and provide ppe.

Thanks so far guys!

Is there anybody on this forum who could give me a day with them, im in chelmsford i am semi mobile at this moment meaning on a 50cc (ok ok so your chainsaws are more powerful)

Hey 'mtt.tr'...welcome to the industry and as others have said before me "you're in very good hands here with the "CC" bunch ('Cheeky'...but 'Caring'!)

More than happy to chat with you directly if you give me a call at the (AA) office.

A couple of things tho, Lantra SSC are the sectors skills council (SSC) for the landbased industries and develop 'apprenticeship' opportunities in conjunction with landbased colleges (Capel Manor, Enfield are very active, see Apprenticeships at Capel Manor College) and employers, including including in forestry and arb(oriculture), so it might be worth having a look there (see Lantra - Skills & Training for environmental and land-based sectors)

Secondly, generally speaking you need to be 16 to operate a chainsaw but should only do so under the close supervision of an experieneced, competent and ticketed (holder of the relevant, to the operation/task being undertaken, NPTC (National Proficienct Test Council, see NPTC | Home) certificate of competence) operator. Also whoever employs you should have a specific 'young persons' risk assessment taking into account the possible increased associated risk (for those reading this is a requirement under Reg. 19(?) of the MHSWR 1999 to have this in place and appropriate controls identified and implemneted....'nerdy!!!' (moi!))

Good luck, enjoy n take care..!

Paul