Filled my first kiln

Big J

Thanks 18 stoner!

I just use a spring clamp on the throttle so that I can control the mill with both hands. I lead on and lead off the board with manual throttle and set the throttle lock for the duration of the cut. So long as I'm steady and consistent with my progress, the saw very rarely bites in and stalls. It's also less tiring, I've found. Regarding the safety of the setup, after a couple of hundred hours milling, I've never had the saw do anything even remotely unpredictable - it's got no where to go but forwards or backwards and if that happens, it's locked into a mill anyway.

Jonathan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks 18 stoner!

I just use a spring clamp on the throttle so that I can control the mill with both hands. I lead on and lead off the board with manual throttle and set the throttle lock for the duration of the cut. So long as I'm steady and consistent with my progress, the saw very rarely bites in and stalls. It's also less tiring, I've found. Regarding the safety of the setup, after a couple of hundred hours milling, I've never had the saw do anything even remotely unpredictable - it's got no where to go but forwards or backwards and if that happens, it's locked into a mill anyway.

Jonathan

Cheers for that Jonathan, I'll give it a try:thumbup1:

Tell you what Jon you've done a really good job there... and what a load of wood to get in the kiln the first time! That should be a few pounds worth and there seems to be a lot of cabinet makers in and around the Edinburgh area so you'll have a good market.

That shed is fantastic and you must feel satisfied knowing you milled all the timber for it.

:thumbup:

Thanks Rob! Bloody satisfying to get the whole lot done. I'm feeling like I've over vibrated my wrists a bit though - a week off chainsawing should help with that!

Kiln went on on Friday night - been back to check temperatures twice. Saturday was 14.5 and today 16.8 - certainly heading in the right direction and it's pumping out plenty of water too. Hard marketing starts this week - hoping to have half of it provisionally sold before it's done. Maybe a pipe dream, but it's an aim nevertheless.

Jonathan

Just planks Pete. I'm lucky enough to have a fairly enormous supply of bone dry standing wood (felled about 8 larch, a silver birch and logged a fallen elm this evening - all dry enough to burn now).

I haven't thought about firewood loading for the kiln but I imagine that with the approximate volume of 10-15 cubic metres for firewood and a £200 electricity bill, it wouldn't be economically viable? Also, difficult to ensure correct airflow?

Jonathan

Not in the least producing is easy in some ways - finding the market is much harder especially doing it as a proper business rather than a hobby.

Garden shows are a great way to go and I've got a few booked in this year. Cheap to attend and sits you right in front of the right audience.

Yes my wrists and elboes are not in good shape hence trying to look at easier ways to mill!

Thanks Rob! Bloody satisfying to get the whole lot done. I'm feeling like I've over vibrated my wrists a bit though - a week off chainsawing should help with that!

Kiln went on on Friday night - been back to check temperatures twice. Saturday was 14.5 and today 16.8 - certainly heading in the right direction and it's pumping out plenty of water too. Hard marketing starts this week - hoping to have half of it provisionally sold before it's done. Maybe a pipe dream, but it's an aim nevertheless.

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the kiln:

Temperature inside is now up to 34 degrees and at best measure is pumping out 25 litres of water a day. Both statistics are still increasing, and I anticipate a final output of about 50 litres a day at 40-42 degrees. That said, the higher external temperature does warm things up a bit inside.

Fingers crossed, all is going well!

Jonathan

Thanks Rob!

Bit concerned that the amount of water being ejected from the kiln hasn't increased much in the last few days, though the temperature has. It's now sitting at 38 degrees inside (to be expected with the minor heatwave we've just had) but still only pumping out 25 litres a day (roughly). At this rate it's going to take 11 weeks to run the full cycle, which seems to be a bit too long in my mind.

Anyone have any personal experience with when the kiln really starts to shed the water/optimum operating temperature etc?

Jonathan