trailer test advice please?

jrose

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to build up my collection of various tickets, and fairly high on the list of priorities is getting my trailer ticket as I passed my driving after 1997. I have driven with trailers a bit, and the thought doesn't really fill me with dread.

Can anyone who has taken the test advise me as to whether it is worth taking a course, or if it is possible to just book the test? And what is required, I'm guessing linking up, reversing etc... anything I should be aware of that isn't obvious?

cheers,

Joe

I didn't have any formal lessons before the test, but I did go out with a neighbour who's a driving instructor beforehand for an hour or so just to check my general driving.

It's a pretty simple test. You turn up read a number plate, do some manouvres. From what I remember you pull in. Unhitch, pull forward, hitch up. Then you do a snake reverse into a bay that you can only get out once to check your position at the end. Then a braking excercise where you can't lock the wheels (empty trailer.....)

Then off for a drive round with the trailer on the back. Loads of info about manouvres etc on the net if you search for it - thats all I did. Check about hitching up aswell, the order that you do stuff in (Brake, electrics, brakeaway cable, unhitch etc)

I do know some people that have been told there combination of trailer/car was unsuitable, it does vary on age of vehicle etc so check this before the day.

pm me if you want anymore info.

R

Well of course its worth it! unless you want to lose your licence!

ok, rant over!

yeah iv done mine, its just driving, reversin round cones, hitchin and unhitchen. nothing too hard, you just have to do it their way, not yours, so a short course before the test is a good idea.

you have to have the catagory to drive the vehicle first, ie B, C, C1 etc, and also the provisional entitlement, ie +e.

a reguler vehicle entitlement (b) will let you tow a trailer upto 750kg, to tow more you need a +e. (like B+E, or C+E etc)

theres also a vehicle weight ratio, if the driving vehicle is 3.5(transit) then the trailer can be 750max. if the driving vehicle is less (4x4) then the trailer has to be less, or sumthin like that?

as most decent chippers weigh more then 750kg then yes its a great idea!!

Well of course its worth it! unless you want to lose your licence!

what do you mean, lose your licence? If your car driving isn't up to test standard, they can take your licence away? This isn't too much of a worry as I'm don't have many bad habits, just something to take into account if so...

a reguler vehicle entitlement (b) will let you tow a trailer upto 750kg, to tow more you need a +e. (like B+E, or C+E etc)

theres also a vehicle weight ratio, if the driving vehicle is 3.5(transit) then the trailer can be 750max. if the driving vehicle is less (4x4) then the trailer has to be less, or sumthin like that?

as most decent chippers weigh more then 750kg then yes its a great idea!!

I'm guessing all this is without the trailer ticket, I've had a look at the DVLA site but I'm getting a bit confused about what I can and can't tow. I have a berlingo van with a towbar, which is what I was planning on doing the test in. Does the trailer I take to the test centre have to be over the legal limit for me (therefore one for which I would require the ticket in the first place)? Or can I take a small one to do the test with? I'm assuming I have to take my own trailer?

maybe I should find an instructor...

cheers for all the help

Joe

its probably best to get an instructor, youl need a hgv instructer, as a reguler car instructer wont be upto spec.

i did mine a few years ago so things may have changed, but i did the 7.5 (c1) then the 7.5 with trailer (c1+e)

but yes, the above is based on a reguler car (b) licence.

i was a bit pissed as i couldve had the lot if id passed first time, my first test was about a week before the 1997 regs came in!

and yes, when the fuzz stop you for any reason, they may find a minor problem, ie no lights, then they will question everything including the vehicle and trailer weight and your licence entitlement

Edited by john dawson
its sunday morning!!

thanks for the advice everyone, I've emailed a local instructor to find out prices for a course. After looking on the DVLA website, it turns out my vehicle might not be suitable to do the test in, as vans aren't very good for the assessors visibility apparently. So I'll try and find an instructor, and do it that way.

I realise you could be in trouble if you get stopped with a trailer too big for you on the road, I might have misunderstood the lose your licence comment. I was thinking I might do the test, and at the end the assessor would say not only have you failed your trailer test, but if your car driving wasn't up to normal test standards he'd take that licence away as well! Don't know if this is possible or not, not really a problem just something to bear in mind if so.

cheers,

Joe

I did my B+E test about this time last year. Did it with a local guy had a few lessons. I failed my first test on the driving rather than the trailer bit.

If you look around the net you'll find the diagram of the reverse it's quite strict. Lots of lines and cones your not aloud to cross or hit. You can get out to have a look once and your only aloud 2 shunts.

The trailer hook up is quite easy just remember break on the trailer first thing on and last thing off.

The test is an hour long so 15 mins of off road manuvers then 45 mins of driving. So i spent 45 mins driving round Oxford with a trailer on.