reference book or guide for sawlog spec's

Could some one point me in the direction of a decent current guide or book or website listing the common specs for saw logs of different species, I have some books that do some soft and hardwoods but they are pretty limited but i would like a more comprehensive guide, i dont know if any of the FC guides like the blue book have this info in :confused1:

thanks in advance for any help

Charlie

Do you mean things like minimum top diameter, length and curvature tolerances. I'm not sure if the Fc have a standard across the country and I would think it was dependant on the customers spec. Ill have a look around I saw a spec sheet the other day from my time in Thetford.

Do you mean things like minimum top diameter, length and curvature tolerances. I'm not sure if the Fc have a standard across the country and I would think it was dependant on the customers spec. Ill have a look around I saw a spec sheet the other day from my time in Thetford.

cheers thats the kind of info, i did suspect it will vary from customer to customer, but moving from advising purely on conservation grounds to actually trying to justify some incomes from the timber on a couple of sites is proving a bit like trying to predict the lottery numbers, as im not getting a lot of help from local mills

Im pretty sure it varies from mill to mill, if you are talking about softwood logs, depending on what they are cutting. We occasionally used to get several calls a day asking to cut different sized products. Of course there are different names for different products aswell depending on where you are in the country. What would you be looking for softwood or hardwood specs?

cheers thats the kind of info, i did suspect it will vary from customer to customer, but moving from advising purely on conservation grounds to actually trying to justify some incomes from the timber on a couple of sites is proving a bit like trying to predict the lottery numbers, as im not getting a lot of help from local mills

Selling small parcels of timber is going to be more difficult than larger ones although i wuld have thought if you can get at least one load someone would take it even if its just euroforest for chip wood

It really varies mill to mill and even down to the current highest value products being produced by the mill at any one time... The best place to look, other than speaking direct to mills would be back cataloges the RFS Quarterly Journal.

For softwood sawlogs the minimum top diameter allowed is 18cm, although TBH i wouldnt really want much in that size. When i get small stuff like that from Euroforest i sell it straight on to cahinsaw carvers for mushrooms. Really about double that is necessary to make any real money, depending on what the end product is.