throwbag technique and cambium saver setting

ecolojim

my throwline is this purple marlow braided stuff. i kept braking it when it was going the wrong way with my bare hand earlier, and then thinking whoops, thats gonna hurt, but it never once burnt me. good line methinks. plus its bloomin strong!

I have the same line, 50m purple with pink and blue specs on it....pretty good stuff

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get it on the first shot, or the 15th shot. Visualize your target in your mind, get into the zen of it. IF you just cannot hit your target, pick another one lower down. Or move to another position and try to hit your target from a different angle.

Often it is better to just get a line set and start climbing than to spend an hour attempting to hit the perfect target.

I have spent so much time before trying to hit the perfect target that by the time I do get it, it is lunch time and no work was done.

Good advice,

I struggle to find Zen when throw lining, to often all I find is rage and frustration, which only makes things worse.

My only advise to you Jim is if your really want to get good at throw lining, (which is a very good thing imo) is also learn to footlock, it will open up far more oppertunities to you and speed your ascent no end.

For example you wil not be stuck with trying to find crotches close to the trunk, and you will not have to set-up a cambium saver on the ground.

that's a sound piece of advice Marc. thankyou. I dont really want to open the whole footlocking can of worms but i would assume you set your rope over a branch that overhangs another so that you can 'land' on a limb? and i assume DRT footlocking is better if you are going to use the same rope for positioning once in the canopy rather than ending up with one end anchored to the base of the tree. 1:1 doubled rope being less wearing on the rope and quicker, 2:1 being less effort per movement i presume.

been meaning to try footlocking out for a long while. no better time than the present.

I shall consult the TCC once more

thanks

Steve, got it from Justin

all i know is 'Marlow 2mm throwline'

"50m lightweight throw line for use with throw bags. Smooth hardwearing polyester cover for excellent handling and longevity."

omthrowline.gif

think it says you can tug 80kg worth on it or something.

I dont really want to open the whole footlocking can of worms but i would assume you set your rope over a branch that overhangs another so that you can 'land' on a limb?

been meaning to try footlocking out for a long while. no better time than the present.

I shall consult the TCC once more

thanks

Yes its best to get your line set above a convient limb to make changing over to your normal climbing set-up.

You can buy a dedicated footlock line, which in time a good idea as when you start climbing bigger trees you can leave it in as an access line which is good practice. I'm currently footlocking on my climbing line then switching over in the tree.

I'm mainly talking about using doubled rope, not single line as thats something I have'nt gone into yet.

I'm using Kong double ascendors at the moment but will move onto a knot soon, I just found the ascendors easier to use to get my footlock technique sorted.

I use a munter hitch if for some reason I want to decend on a fixed double line, or a Fig 8, although I hate carrying a fig 8 on my harness, a munter will work with most wide topped karabiners.

I always knew footlocking was a good idea but have to admit I only started doing it this year, and wow what a time and energy saver.

Its good your thinking about other techniques and effcient canopy access, you don't have to learn everything at once just keep an open mind to what may help your climbing in the future as you progress.

I used my throw line for the first time in weeks and lost the bag in a neighbours garden. I've had that one for nearly 8 years and one PITA tree...

I always tie a slipknot in the line about 3 or 4" back from the connection with the bag and pinch that between my fingers to give leverage to the throw.

I run zing it and have spliced the end so i can simply girth hitch it on. quick and easy, no knots

Jonesie. don't suppose you want to send it via me and i'll splice an eye on it?

Jamie