defender's

cordwood

I don't quite understand that statement. I was stating that the 130 has different permitted Axle weights to that of a 90 or 110. And the crane installation would have been designed to these at production. I didn't mean the axles would break, However if you fitted a standard 90 or 110 axle to a 130 It may well be upto the job but you could have problems if you had an accident and it was proved that the axle was over the weight of that it was designed for. You can be prosecuted for being overweight on an axle

ahhh re read the post my confusion, was only scanning the previous posts.....

If i remember correctly a standard 110 axle and a sailsbury axle are both rated to carry the same weight, the beefing up to the sailsbury axle was designed is so that it can deal with more abuse.....:icon14:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh re read the post my confusion, was only scanning the previous posts.....

If i remember correctly a standard 110 axle and a sailsbury axle are both rated to carry the same weight, the beefing up to the sailsbury axle was designed is so that it can deal with more abuse.....:icon14:

Aren't the pre td5 110 rear axles a Salisbury anyway?

You learn something new every day - I'd always thought the front axles were the same on 90s, 110s and 130s

i would take the crane off

unless you have a use for timber you can move

plan on using without chip sides

weight is valuable

those cranes are not good for lifting timber i used to have one and took it off

Aren't the pre td5 110 rear axles a Salisbury anyway?

You learn something new every day - I'd always thought the front axles were the same on 90s, 110s and 130s

Chris your right Pre Td5 110 & 130 rear axles were Salisbury yes. The actual front axle internals may well be the same on all models, but the 130 still has a higher permissable front axle weight over the shorter wheelbases.

As for the crane only the man running the vehicle knows if its worthwhile, personally doing what I do with my 130 I'd quite like a crane like that and yes I've used one.

ive seen S.T.S on my patch today i might have to get nasty.lol:wave:

ill wait for a reaction from that comment.lol:boxing:

Didn't see you but yes I was on your 'manor'. :wave:

Ball ache of a job though, conifer hedge reduction to 20ft along the bottom of a nice steep garden with poor access for lugging brash.

It Should and I emphasise SHOULD! be ok that 130 was built by Land Rover Special Vehicles Operations and most probably belonged to Severn Trent Water. LRSV are more than aware of front axle weights and cranes. Also the 130's front axle weight is greater than that of a standard Landy. Right time to take my anorak off LOL.

STS Very nice indeed, looking forward to seeing pics of the modified body/crane.

That is a hell of an anorak you own Matt. Yes it is ex Severn trent water and was bought by me for the low milage (41k) rather than the crane. I will have to get it to a weigh bridge to confirm it is legal but would be shocked if it isn't.

i would take the crane off

unless you have a use for timber you can move

plan on using without chip sides

weight is valuable

those cranes are not good for lifting timber i used to have one and took it off

The crane might come off yet, I have only owned the landy for a couple of weeks so still weighing up the options. The landy wasn't bought for the crane, it just happens to be there.

However, I have been approached by a few people both tree related and otherwise asking about the crane and hire of vehicle plus driver so it might prove to be an earner if times are a bit lean this year.

Lets see what the next few months bring.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...
Be interesting to know what it weighs with all kit on but no chip or logs, ie empty except for saws etc and including driver, just to see what the crane knocks the payload down to.

Are you weighing it off at some point Kev.

Dean,

Weighed it off tonight at work. All my saws, fuel cans, climbing bags, spare wheel, etc at bulk head end. Full tank of juice and me + 1 in it.

Front axle 1340kg

Whole truck 2640kg

Plated weights are (1) 1580kg and (2) 2200kg

How does that compare to yours or anyone elses 130 or even a non 4x4 3.5t truck?

Kev