Waste Transfer Licence

bareroots

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise there is lots of this confusion and cross-quoting, but i would like to add a quote directly from EA that i have in writing. I believe this is not confusing but in fact quite clear so i have a copy of this in each truck. Please note "Whole trees";

The Environment Agency’s position

Virgin timber is timber from:

whole trees and the woody parts of trees including branches and bark derived from forestry works, woodland management, tree surgery and other similar operations (it does not include clippings or trimmings that consist primarily of foliage2);

virgin wood processing (e.g. wood offcuts, shavings or sawdust from sawmills) or timber product manufacture dealing in virgin timber.

Virgin timbers are not waste and are not subject to waste regulatory controls provided they are certain to be used for purposes to which virgin wood is commonly put. These include use as:

woodchip in gardens or on pathways;

a raw material for composting;

animal bedding;

fuel in an appliance;

a raw material for the production of wood-based products or in paper production.

But if virgin timber is mixed with waste timber or any other waste, the mixed load is classed as waste.

So, my view is, if the EA dont see "whloe tree" woodchip and logs as "waste" a WCL is not needed.

Looks clear to me.

Normal tree surgery doesnt produce virgin timber imo.

Looks clear to me.

Normal tree surgery doesnt produce virgin timber imo.

how do you work that one out

its very clear imo

i have never disposed of any of my woodchip it has all gone to gardens as mulch plus it would all go for bio fuel if ot mulch woodchip is a valuable resouce not waste

Ok...

So transporting the wood from a job is ok without a waste carriers licence.

Transporting clean wood chip is ok?

Transporting wood chip with a discernable amount of green bud or foliage (say leylandi) isn't ok and needs a licence.

Transporting a trailer load of brash requires a licence.

Is that something we could establish as a concensus?

Ok...

So transporting the wood from a job is ok without a waste carriers licence.

Transporting clean wood chip is ok?

Transporting wood chip with a discernable amount of green bud or foliage (say leylandi) isn't ok and needs a licence.

Transporting a trailer load of brash requires a licence.

Is that something we could establish as a concensus?

Thats about the top and bottom of how i read it:thumbup1:

Only thing i would say is, on a removal of a Leylandii it would be still classed as a "whole tree". Its clippings/trimmings from hedge cutting they dont allow.

Another point is, sawdust is also classed as virgin, BUT it must not contain contaminants, such as soil or gravel etc. Careful raking needed then:001_huh:

Consensus achieved:thumbup:

I realise there is lots of this confusion and cross-quoting, but i would like to add a quote directly from EA that i have in writing. I believe this is not confusing but in fact quite clear so i have a copy of this in each truck. Please note "Whole trees";

The Environment Agency’s position

Virgin timber is timber from:

whole trees and the woody parts of trees including branches and bark derived from forestry works, woodland management, tree surgery and other similar operations (it does not include clippings or trimmings that consist primarily of foliage2);

virgin wood processing (e.g. wood offcuts, shavings or sawdust from sawmills) or timber product manufacture dealing in virgin timber.

Virgin timbers are not waste and are not subject to waste regulatory controls provided they are certain to be used for purposes to which virgin wood is commonly put. These include use as:

woodchip in gardens or on pathways;

a raw material for composting;

animal bedding;

fuel in an appliance;

a raw material for the production of wood-based products or in paper production.

But if virgin timber is mixed with waste timber or any other waste, the mixed load is classed as waste.

So, my view is, if the EA dont see "whloe tree" woodchip and logs as "waste" a WCL is not needed.

On the base of that paragraph I applied for a para 21 exemption, I also carry that document in the truck.

how do you work that one out

its very clear imo

i have never disposed of any of my woodchip it has all gone to gardens as mulch plus it would all go for bio fuel if ot mulch woodchip is a valuable resouce not waste

From the fact that in general we chip the foliage which isnt classed as virgin timber.

I'm not agreeing that the EA have it right.

NONE of our chip has ever been landfilled it ALL goes for pathways, paddocks, gardens, landscaping or bio fuel, composting etc.

Although I have seen plenty of chip,brash log go to landfill or go to help block pathways etc:sneaky2:

Plus I have spoken to enough tree surgeons who do landfill but will swear blind that they recycle everything 100%.

Some people do lie you know.:001_smile:

Besides a waste carrier/broker licensee is probably the cheapest outlay that I have.