Footlocking

Steve Bullman

Not a great plan! Klemhiest on a single line is not good.

Footlocking on a single line is not good either unless you are very strong in the hands and can grip a single rope.

Also, if your footlock line is long enough, just pull one end about 10-12 feet through the top anchor point (enough rope to tie off at the base) then get the other end of youy line and tie to the bottom end of the bit thats hanging in the tree, then continue to pull the line through down to the base and tie it off. You now have double rope hanging in the tree with a single section of same rope coming down to the base and tied off.

Cheers Rupe, I have pretty dainty hands so I reckon I should just about be able to grip the rope to the top. Why isn't a klemheist on a single line good? Would you recommend any other hitch for this? Its only for ascending, not descending mind.

And I'm afraid I can't quite picture what you're saying in the last paragraph, but it sounds like my line might be too short...

And coleman, ideally I'd spend the time trying to isolate, but when you're as crap with a throwline as I am, and working to a deadline my older and betters won't have the patience for me to keep trying. I try to practice with my line but its something I can't do on the job.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its rare that I need to use srt for access, most of the time the ladders will get me high enough so I can alternate my way to my tip, so its not really worth me shelling out a lot of money for the amount I'll use it Peter.

I see what you're saying about the klemheist though. I don't have a spare line to use, my team leader will be using his line in a nearby tree...

Been trying to use footlocking more, I use a second line to foot lock on drt, and clip my climbing line into my harness.

Was using a loop length of my chin to foot, but found this way too long? And even when I slid it up as far as I could reach was nowhere near enough!?

Also boots made a massive difference, my old stein boots were pants!

Airstreams are a million times better!?

One question.... Anyone who footlocking on drt, do you tie a knot I. The bottom of your rope?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The other solution we didn't fiddle with on Saturday Joe was a floating anchor / false crotch.

You still need a second line for it (but can be a cheap and unspliced) but send the second line over the non isolated limbs with a pulley on the end and your standard ddrt set up attached to it. Haul the whole lot up into the tree, base tie off and away to go. When you get there you can strop in and set your anchor properly.

I use this arrangement sometimes for my kids so I can lower them if they panic rather than having to go up and operate their hitch myself....

Its a good idea Si, similar to what rupe suggested, but in my work kit I don't have a second line, certainly not one long enough.

I used the method I mentioned in my first post on saturday, and it did seem to work fine, the klemheist gripped my single line well, but that was low and slow, and I don't fancy finding that it doesn't work when I'm quite high up :001_tongue:

This is proving to be a technical one, it would appear that my options are:

Ignore all advice and go ahead with a klemheist on a single line :lol:

Get better at isolating limbs (might take a while)

Invest in some decent SRT gear (I wouldn't give Si the satisfaction:001_tt2:)

Or finally struggle trying to throw my line a fair distance from branch to branch with lots or epi in the way!

Ya know hat you saying and have been thinkihg bout how to instll it and think could be done using it directly on to the cambian saver and climbing line already install'd and set into the cocoon I may be wrong but going to try a few things this wk,end if have time.