is a flyer drop worth the effort

phil28

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have time on your hands then yes,its the only way the travellers get work,& they wont waste time on it if it does'nt work.

Bit of a stigma attached to it,but lots of legit trades also use flyers.

Desperate times,desperate measures! Also,not being funny,but if work dries up,scrap metal has been very good recently,I would!

Hope it all picks up for you now easter is gone.

A few years ago, I was short of work and also wanted to 'get in' to a lucrative, high property value area, about 15 miles from my yard. I set up an 0800 number (my dialling code is different from the target area) and set about designing a leaflet. I put a lot of thought in the leaflet itself, emphasizing correct pruning techniques, insurance, qualified Arbs etc. I had a couple of slogans I'd seen here and there such as 'let tom, dick and harry cut the grass' and 'a correctly pruned tree should look like its been manicured, not had its fingers cut off'. I had a link to my website and a few drawings of rigging/speedlining...it was quiet 'busy'!.

I spent half a day posting them with my blokes and then we went down the cafe!. We ended up getting 2 weeks work out of that drop (with spin offs and a couple of very nice section fell jobs). So in answer to your question...YES!, I don't think theres a stigma involved in leafleting, as long as your leaflet sets your business aside from any 'garden waste also cleared' do-as-you-likey companies.:thumbup:

Edited by arbogrunt
sausage fingers!

Good luck mate, on the leaflets show that you carry all the required insurance,and maybe mention tpo aplications undertaken to separate you from some of the lesser competition,and you have been established in the area for x years.:001_smile:

Its all about the leaflets, knock something up quick and photocopy it and its prob not worth doing, get it done properly and you will get much better results. Like any advertising, designing a leaflet that will work is an art. Most people get it wrong and so do most pro designers. My advice is give it some thought and do it properly.:thumbup1:

I have found that leaflets generally bring in jobs, not always, but generally. When i first started making leaflets they were totally shoddy but still bring the work in. Say what you need to say simply. If you put out a flyer with PROFESSIONAL TREE WORK at the top and HEDGE TRIMMING underneath then you will generally get tree enquiries. If you do it the other way round you will generally get hedge enquiries. Leaflets serve as a memory jog, most people read the first line and if they`re not interested then its in the bin.

My flyers look reasonably pro now and they bring in about the same number of enquiries as crude leaflets. remember that a leaflet is about selling yourself to a customer, not impressing other arbs.

I hope you get more work. :001_smile:

I have found that leaflets generally bring in jobs, not always, but generally. When i first started making leaflets they were totally shoddy but still bring the work in. Say what you need to say simply. If you put out a flyer with PROFESSIONAL TREE WORK at the top and HEDGE TRIMMING underneath then you will generally get tree enquiries. If you do it the other way round you will generally get hedge enquiries. Leaflets serve as a memory jog, most people read the first line and if they`re not interested then its in the bin.

My flyers look reasonably pro now and they bring in about the same number of enquiries as crude leaflets. remember that a leaflet is about selling yourself to a customer, not impressing other arbs.

I hope you get more work. :001_smile:

Thats interesting, Did you find the basic leaflets bought in more basic customers maybe after a cheaper job, where as the better leaflets may appeal to a more discerning customer?