Gratitude

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with the biomass is loading it and they want a minimum of 28 tons i think,

Last week I had about 70 ton but the loading thing is a problem, the other option is to have my chip bin raise up the artic pulls along side and I use my little tractor to load easy

Last week I had about 70 ton but the loading thing is a problem, the other option is to have my chip bin raise up the artic pulls along side and I use my little tractor to load easy

Depending on who you use I think they also stipulate a minimum capacity the loading bucket is too! :banghead:

I have never had a minimum loading bucket!!! Mind you the one that comes and loads up is huge, we can fill the lorry in about 1/2 and hour. The only thing that may cause you to be offered a lower price for your chip is that it is not on hard standing and therefore could contain mud clumps, stones etc.... I have a 7630 newholland in my yard which i circulate the chip with, so any that is left over form the previous pick up is first on he next load out, therefore reducing the composting effect.

As for the issue of free chip etc, this year i am even going to sell the stuff i wouldnt normally split (conifer, willow, pop etc) in bulk loads as the demand for it is there.

People who come and ask to help themselves either pay up or feed me wine!!! Its business not charity!!

You will need a telehandler of some sort dean, you need to load it in a reasonable time and a compact tractor will just be too small, also they wont take it if its "composting" so really your looking at a months worth max before it goes and its a min of 28t at a time. Im still thinking about it, i can load easy enough its just the volume and storage.

if you know what you are doing with the chip dean then you will work around it, every farm these days has a telehandler and a 16 year old that wants £50 for an hours work. i have heard you can haggle a fair bit with the biomass, i know a job where they came in and chipped everything, brought their own lorries and gave the guy £7 a ton, he started at £4 now there is approx 5000 ton, so thats a big lump of wonga extra. and if you know it has to be clean, you will keep it clean. personally i chip less and log more, like theocus i log everything now. logs are between £240 and £300 a ton, wood chip is about £5. do the math mate. less stress pottering around the yard mate