First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

Speaking from experience you need the ways and means of stopping a major bleed to save most peoples lives from the injuries we are most likely to sustain.

A large strong bandage and celox will cover most things.(pun intended :001_tongue:)

You could buy alot of those for the price of one of those kits!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been out all day, but this looked like a good conversation.

Good training, and that might include training in addition to the HSE requirements, and a good first aid kit with a few extras is all anyone should need.

£200 odd spent on a drama box is not in itself any good to anyone.

First aid is only first aid. We are not looking for the equipment and/or knowledge to take someone from a serious wound to full recovery without the help of proffesionals.

I'll ask some paramedics when I get the chance, but I bet they would often rather the public left well alone and just called them sooner.

We need to think of our industry as a safe working environment, and not an iminent life threatenign issue, after all its only a semi skilled trade that anybody could do with a bit of training, its not special or dangerous, and we don't need to be tough and brave, and we don't need to over sized first aid kits to try and show how dangerous a job this must be.

Knowing your location and having access to a mobile phone is first priority IMO, then some rescus skills which are practiced regularly is good idea too. some plasters for your silky cuts and a blood stopper or two. Tourniquets and proper training in there use also a good idea.

O.k scenario, your out on a private estate, doing some big oaks fair treck to the road, your buddy cuts his arm pretty darn bad/or leg. he has an arterial bleed but has got to the deck himself at a blistering pace and is now unconcious in a heap on the deck.

This is a very real possibility and perfectly average from what i can tell.

So there you are in your rural or rural ish location, maybe just outside of your usual town situation, the ambulance is the first call?

Nah, getting your mate secured in the recovery position is surley? so youve got him in the recovery, but he is bleeding bad, so what now? leave him be and call the ambulance, give them the GPS co-ordinates, but your mates bleeding out.

Now your confidant the Ambulance is on route, they have to repsond arrive within fifteen mins by law (has this changed?) so youve now got to apply pressure and stop the bleed, is it already too late? argh, so a drip and saline might have just kept him fluid enough, might have just made those extra vital minutes before the ambulance gets there.

A well trained first aider above the basic, with an above basic kit and a rehearsed program would and could save this guy, but he bled out because, you didnt have the right kit, you wasnt trained to adminester a drip and you failed to priorotise becaus it wasnt drilled into you.

Im not suggesting I know what i am talking about! but i do know for a fact, people die all too often, or get seriously hurt in this game and I for one would like to think about ways and means of saving one of those some day, who knows maybe it will be you.

O.k scenario, your out on a private estate, doing some big oaks fair treck to the road, your buddy cuts his arm pretty darn bad/or leg. he has an arterial bleed but has got to the deck himself at a blistering pace and is now unconcious in a heap on the deck.

This is a very real possibility and perfectly average from what i can tell.

So there you are in your rural or rural ish location, maybe just outside of your usual town situation, the ambulance is the first call?

Nah, getting your mate secured in the recovery position is surley? so youve got him in the recovery, but he is bleeding bad, so what now? leave him be and call the ambulance, give them the GPS co-ordinates, but your mates bleeding out.

Now your confidant the Ambulance is on route, they have to repsond arrive within fifteen mins by law (has this changed?) so youve now got to apply pressure and stop the bleed, is it already too late? argh, so a drip and saline might have just kept him fluid enough, might have just made those extra vital minutes before the ambulance gets there.

A well trained first aider above the basic, with an above basic kit and a rehearsed program would and could save this guy, but he bled out because, you didnt have the right kit, you wasnt trained to adminester a drip and you failed to priorotise becaus it wasnt drilled into you.

Im not suggesting I know what i am talking about! but i do know for a fact, people die all too often, or get seriously hurt in this game and I for one would like to think about ways and means of saving one of those some day, who knows maybe it will be you.

No mate he died while you were log rolling him into the recovery position and you are now standing next to a corpse covered in his claret.

While you were putting him into the recovery position, (which is for unconscious casualties) he was screaming at you through his blue lips to do something about the bleeding as his pallor went real pale, just before he went quiet and stopped moving.

The list goes

D.R.A.B.C

Danger......Are you in danger Y/N

Response...Is the casualty responsive Y/N If yes disregard ABC unless the casualty becomes unresponsive, now treat the life threatening condition before your mate starts to assume room temperature.

Airway

Breathing

Circulation

He didn’t bleed out because of lack of kit, all you need to do is apply pressure. He blead out because you should have applied pressure immediately

No mate he died while you were log rolling him into the recovery position and you are now standing next to a corpse covered in his claret.

While you were putting him into the recovery position, (which is for unconscious casualties) he was screaming at you through his blue lips to do something about the bleeding as his pallor went real pale, just before he went quiet and stopped moving.

The list goes

D.R.A.B.C

Danger......Are you in danger Y/N

Response...Is the casualty responsive Y/N If yes disregard ABC unless the casualty becomes unresponsive, now treat the life threatening condition before your mate starts to assume room temperature.

Airway

Breathing

Circulation

He didn’t bleed out because of lack of kit, all you need to do is apply pressure. He blead out because you should have applied pressure immediately

I said

O.K it is clear as per usual i am barking up the wrong tree and should maybe let this one go also!

IU shall stick to my Fungi diary and leave the rest of it to those that know far better than I!

Does seem crazy though that these same guys would spend 200 on a art product they DONT need but not 200 on a first aid kit!

O.K it is clear as per usual i am barking up the wrong tree and should maybe let this one go also!

IU shall stick to my Fungi diary and leave the rest of it to those that know far better than I!

Does seem crazy though that these same guys would spend 200 on a art product they DONT need but not 200 on a first aid kit!

:confused1:

Common mate you cant ask for opinions then get the hump when they arent the same as yours.

Dont take any of it personal, if I did that I woulda left the forum after 5 posts. :laugh1:

I can see where your coming from Tony but the way an arb looks at things is they are going to use a lockjack, they dont intend to use a first aid kit.

I have three or four field dressings and two celox kicking around, any other injuries are not urgent enough that they can wiat fo the paramedics

If you are for example in conifers, you haven't got a hope of getting out of them in under a minute and you dont carry the tourniquet out of your first aid kit with you.

But the thing is, I DO carry a CAT turniquet on me at all times :001_smile: