First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

So to summarise, this thread has done me good, I have retrained, I have invested in a far better kit, and I have given the subject more thought in a few pages than I have in the past 15 or so years, so I think I've been very positive actually :001_tongue:

thats what I might call a result andy:nurse:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See that's the power and beauty of forums such as Arbtalk, many of us would barely discuss a topic such as this sitting in a truck at lunchtime. Here we chew it over, agree and disagree, come to blows and come to a compromise and finally some sort of result is achieved. Not necessarily to others expectations, but at least raising our own. From this thread, Hama now owns a state of the art, top of the range 1st aid kit that he is happy with, and I have improved my training level, opened my eyes, and improved the standard of 1st aid equipment that I carry, that I am now more satisfied with. Others may look at this in time, and consider their own levels of improvements, or not, their own prerogative.

and of course another winner should be Arb Aid, as Tony and I have thrashed this out, the topic gets brought to the fore every time we've posted. Win-win for everyone :thumbup:

See that's the power and beauty of forums such as Arbtalk, many of us would barely discuss a topic such as this sitting in a truck at lunchtime. Here we chew it over, agree and disagree, come to blows and come to a compromise and finally some sort of result is achieved. Not necessarily to others expectations, but at least raising our own. From this thread, Hama now owns a state of the art, top of the range 1st aid kit that he is happy with, and I have improved my training level, opened my eyes, and improved the standard of 1st aid equipment that I carry, that I am now more satisfied with. Others may look at this in time, and consider their own levels of improvements, or not, their own prerogative.

and of course another winner should be Arb Aid, as Tony and I have thrashed this out, the topic gets brought to the fore every time we've posted. Win-win for everyone :thumbup:

It was only ever about getting people to discuss the subject and maybe think about the very harsh realities that could be facing us one day hopefully not. I had however seen more than enough sad threads on this subject and to be honest I am a bit sensitive about not death but the loss others go through when they lose a loved one, we cant cheat it but we can darn well give it a kick in the nads when it trys to knock our door a little premature!:thumbup1:

As a community first responder i can say its well worthwhile becoming involved in, few things to consider

ideally have one evening 6-11pm free a week, ie drop and run - one evening a month available for refresher training within scheme (not all do this), 2 days for the training course where your brain will melt trying to absorb so much info - remember that most often the call outs will be truly boring, not every one involves defib - sense of humour is a must - it does give you more confidence to deal with emergencys.

Edit to add, look into red cross first aid groups, these all require volunteers and for not too many hrs a year you get excellent ongoing training and some have responder groups attached to them, or work closely with them.

Edited by david wood
more info

As a community first responder i can say its well worthwhile becoming involved in, few things to consider

ideally have one evening 6-11pm free a week, ie drop and run - one evening a month available for refresher training within scheme (not all do this), 2 days for the training course where your brain will melt trying to absorb so much info - remember that most often the call outs will be truly boring, not every one involves defib - sense of humour is a must - it does give you more confidence to deal with emergencys.

Edit to add, look into red cross first aid groups, these all require volunteers and for not too many hrs a year you get excellent ongoing training and some have responder groups attached to them, or work closely with them.

thanks for that david:thumbup1:

no worries tony,

i have been a responder for 3 years now and enjoy it, been red cross first aid volunteer i guess for 13 -14 years now and its great. The training is much better than it used to be in terms of realism and on nights where there are scenario's being done you can suggest to a trainer if theres a scene you wish to cover, so say silky injuries etc and they will try to make as realistic as possible with very real looking injuries and people who have been playing casulties for long time so can really turn it on!

All good stuff.