First aid, the ultimate arbs kit?

The defibs we were shown were almost idiot proof, they talk you through the process as you treat. And at around £800 per kit we could have one in each truck under the seat amongst the crisp packets, and old tuna tins. Hopefully this is one piece of kit that would never need using, then of course would be left in said truck to run flat, and would be useless at the time it were most needed. It's in our nature... We are not paramedics, doctors or nurses where such kit is tested each and every day, and probably used daily too. But it was suggested that employers would be negligent in their duty of care NOT to supply a team with one if it were needed. This was suggested by one of the top training providers in my area.I wonder how many of their fleet have either Arb Aid kits on board, or defibs though?!!!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the defib is the utimate in rescue/life saving desires. It is the defib that starts the heart, which is what the paramedics will use if your performing CPR till they get there.

the advice to carry one is good advice because it is the most important part of the proscess, cpr does not re start a heart all it does is pump blood to organs and put oxygen in the system to be pumped around.

I want a defib.

One of my heroes Ranulph Fiennes took a heart attack on a small aircraft that was about to take off . The paramedics there were the only ones in the uk at the time to have a defib and they saved his life.. The rest is history as they say !! :001_smile:

The defibs we were shown were almost idiot proof, they talk you through the process as you treat. And at around £800 per kit we could have one in each truck under the seat amongst the crisp packets, and old tuna tins. Hopefully this is one piece of kit that would never need using, then of course would be left in said truck to run flat, and would be useless at the time it were most needed. It's in our nature... We are not paramedics, doctors or nurses where such kit is tested each and every day, and probably used daily too. But it was suggested that employers would be negligent in their duty of care NOT to supply a team with one if it were needed. This was suggested by one of the top training providers in my area.I wonder how many of their fleet have either Arb Aid kits on board, or defibs though?!!!

I do not think it would be negligent to NOT supply one, but it would be "advisable" to train for one and note that all major supermarkets airports and the like store one on site for use by trained staff.

One of my heroes Ranulph Fiennes took a heart attack on a small aircraft that was about to take off . The paramedics there were the only ones in the uk at the time to have a defib and they saved his life.. The rest is history as they say !! :001_smile:

that mans a living legend. both a fool and a genius!

if you want adequate training for all emergency 1st aid, why not become a community first responder, you get to carry defibs and everything else you need. As you are supported by your local Ambulance TRust, you have the back up you need, and best of all all this training and kit is free. Just a thought and a lot cheaper and more useful than a well packaged and presented box of bandages (no disrespect intended Arb Aid) http://www.communityfirstresponders.org.uk/

I am not so sure thats true, we have the same set up currently, and its a bit disorganised, the kits get moved about a lot, burried etc, bits gets used then we go looking for the next kit with the bits we want.

The whole point about having a proper box and proper stuff is that we are making a "rescue station" just as we would a fuelling station on site.

here will be your box, your risk assessment book/forms with front sheet giving grid reference (obtained at risk assessment ) contact numbers for next of kin, blood groups, medical conditions and allergy information of employees present.

this way its one box, with everything you may need in ONE pre designated place, not two three trucks with various undisclosed items split between them trucks/boxes with god knows what missing.

This system will make it a routine, and bits used wont be forgotten because you can tick them off and order them from a card by item numbers. with the box in a station at each job it will be in mind at all times, not occasionally raped boxes scattered behind seats of trucks lost behind jackets and waterproofs while your mate is dying on the floor.

AAteccie whats your views on these kits? and would the AA consider having a team of guys demo rescue setups at next years AA show?

Hamadryad, your suggestion is spot on. :thumbup1: Only additional suggestions would be for the personnel department to update all medical history of current hires at least on a monthly basis. and at once with all new hires. Second would be that all First Aid kits should include Epipen IM shots for bee and insect stings.

After reading a thread Two weeks ago by a fellow member who was stung by something and had a reaction to the poison from the bite of something? This reaction to a simple sting or bite can but be but not always be the difference between life or death.

easy-lift guy

I do not think it would be negligent to NOT supply one, but it would be "advisable" to train for one and note that all major supermarkets airports and the like store one on site for use by trained staff.

Total waste of time training to use something you don't have on site IMO, imagine the frustration, on site, chap collapses heart attack, and you are saying thank god I'm trained to resuscitate and use the defib, but I haven't got one! That's ok from mine it's a 16 mile round trip to the nearest supermarket, that's if they can find and will lend out their kit, and why should they? Another example, nearest airport is about 30 miles away! Ambulance? I was recovered on blues and twos by ambulance a couple of weeks ago, vehicle left Lowestoft which is 41 miles away to pick me up to take me to Bury St Edmunds (another 22mile) in the opposite direction, it was the nearest available ambulance. From call to me delivered to A and E 2.5hrs! We do need decent equipment, to keep us alive for as long as possible until help reaches us, and more importantly I firmly believe we need real training to cope with what can be horrific injuries in dramatic circumstances. Will many employers seriously lash out the money for this kind of training and equipment... We'll see!

Total waste of time training to use something you don't have on site IMO, imagine the frustration, on site, chap collapses heart attack, and you are saying thank god I'm trained to resuscitate and use the defib, but I haven't got one! That's ok from mine it's a 16 mile round trip to the nearest supermarket, that's if they can find and will lend out their kit, and why should they? Another example, nearest airport is about 30 miles away! Ambulance? I was recovered on blues and twos by ambulance a couple of weeks ago, vehicle left Lowestoft which is 41 miles away to pick me up to take me to Bury St Edmunds (another 22mile) in the opposite direction, it was the nearest available ambulance. From call to me delivered to A and E 2.5hrs! We do need decent equipment, to keep us alive for as long as possible until help reaches us, and more importantly I firmly believe we need real training to cope with what can be horrific injuries in dramatic circumstances. Will many employers seriously lash out the money for this kind of training and equipment... We'll see!

I will look into that training first responder thing, that sounds well worth a look. Sometimes andy I think you just want to be down on this cos your in a bad mood! I mean honestly what posible negative thing can be thrown at such a subject, who cares if our bosses will stump up? theres NOTHING stopping US all doing what the hell we like regarding our own shows, If I had 500 quid to spare I would by a defib, its the best chance ive got of saving a mates life should the crews be delayed. END OF.

as for the arb aid kits Ive got one I love it and it goes everywhere with me.

I will look into that training first responder thing, that sounds well worth a look. Sometimes andy I think you just want to be down on this cos your in a bad mood! I mean honestly what posible negative thing can be thrown at such a subject, who cares if our bosses will not stump up? theres NOTHING stopping US all doing what the hell we like regarding our own shows, If I had 500 quid to spare I would buy a defib, its the best chance ive got of saving a mates life should the crews be delayed. END OF.

as for the arb aid kits Ive got one I love it and it goes everywhere with me.

You have me all wrong Tony, I'm not in a bad mood, I'm not down on this particular product, or any other. I am realistic however, and proactive, I have improved my training, I have a very much improved first aid kit with everything I need for serious onsite trauma, and it all cost (training and kit) less than the Arb Aid kit alone. I have no issues with that kit, if anyone wishes to spend that much on a kit that's their prerogative and if I was on the receiving end I'd be grateful. If I could afford to have a defib as well Id get one in a flash, but I just can't...simples.

So to summarise, this thread has done me good, I have retrained, I have invested in a far better kit, and I have given the subject more thought in a few pages than I have in the past 15 or so years, so I think I've been very positive actually :001_tongue: